A very civil Chippie (Airfix 1/48th)

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

She's gorgeous! Such a fetching scheme executed beautifully.

I'm tempted to build the BOAC-marked G-BXGL, personally...

Thank you. Yes indeed, thats a nice scheme too. Although the tail markings vary, ie with or without the Speedbird.

15 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Correction remove pins from upper wings to prevent droopy wings. Nice build thanks for the tips.

Oops, yes, my error, I wrote it from memory instead of looking.... Now corrected in my original text too.

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 2

For info  . The extended chord rudder was fitted  to give greater control authority keeping the nose up in slow roll's. It also gave improved control side-slipping and in crosswind's on take off and landing.

It was not introduced to improve spin recovery  but gave improved spin entry. The first aircraft modified was WD321 in January 1951.

Very nice build indeed. Mine arrived earlier in the week. Need to cross reference available decals with my old log book to see if I can easily do at least one example that represents a Chipmunk I had strapped to my backside in a much earlier life!

Terry

18 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Very nice build indeed. Mine arrived earlier in the week. Need to cross reference available decals with my old log book to see if I can easily do at least one example that represents a Chipmunk I had strapped to my backside in a much earlier life!

Terry

Thank you. I'm sure when all 4 Xtradecal sheets eventually come out you'll be able to mix and match all the serial numbers and unit markings to make pretty much any one you desire.....

• Like 1

The first aircraft modified was WD321 in January 1951.

T-21: Trialled and approved in 1951, but not (retro) fitted until 1953. Most, if not all, Chipmunks left the factory with the narrow-chord rudder. Thank you too for correctly stating the purpose of the larger rudder; the myth of improving spin recovery is still out there.

keithjs: That's a lovely model and quick off the blocks too.

Fritag: Greetings! You've doubtless noticed that Airfix included that "pesky" NACA-type air scoop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, Rod Blievers said:

Fritag: Greetings! You've doubtless noticed that Airfix included that "pesky" NACA-type air scoop!

Greetings Rod! - Save’s having to bodge it next time eh! :blush:  I expect it’s got it’s own pesky or two to catch out the unwary though :D

• Like 2

14 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Great build and interesting scheme! 😍

Is there a brand who released some civilian Chipmunk like your's?

Lolo

Thank you. No, as far as I know Avalon have been the only company to release civil markings at the moment. Hopefully they'll consider doing some more?

Edited by keithjs
  • Thanks 1

Hi Fritag!

My batch of kits are still "on the water" somewhere between the U.K. and Australia, so I'm yet to fondle the plastic. A friend has sent me clear photos of the sprues, decal sheet and instructions so I have a clear idea of what to expect - which makes the wait even more painful.

Overall, I'm mightily impressed. There's one surprising omission and I have a few (minor) niggles, but I think it best to await the inevitable review here (Mike, are you reading this?) before expanding on this.

Cheers,

Rod.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, keithjs said:

Thank you. No, as far as I know Avalon have been the only company to release civil markings at the moment. Hopefully they'll consider doing some more?

Yes, Keithjs, we can hope as the kit has just been released.

Lolo