Airfix Sopwith Pup

Hello all. I have just finished this little beauty of a kit in the 'Less than a tenner' Group Build on this very Forum. The premise was that the kit and any accessories should not amount to more that £10 in total. I bought my kit in the 1980's when Palitoy did a 'buy one get on free' deal but neglected to state that the cheaper kit was the free one, so I tried it on at my local store and did not get away with it! It cost £1.75, and the other kit I got was a DH4 which had long since been built. That meant my Pup was only half of the £1.75. I bought a Blue Rider transfer sheet for this (BR-243) which cost £5 here in 2021. I also used 4 roundels from an old Microscale sheet again from the 1980's which was allowed in the rules, and finally I used an etch control column handle which would not have added much, so all in all, still all less than £10. All behaved well, the Blue Rider sheet bedded down over details very nicely indeed, but, oh boy, was it translucent! That was why I used the Microscale roundels, but they were not willing to settle, even with their Set and Sol. I did add a few bits and pieces along the way, from scrap plastic I had around.

The model represents C242 from No 7 Training Squadron, Netheravon, 1918, and it is slightly colourful, in a subdued sort of way. The build log is here if you would like a look:

There are some amazing builds on that Group Build, it shows we do not always need to spend mega bucks to get something good out of modelling. Anyway, here is my completed, drab-looking Sopwith Pup:

DSCN7678

DSCN7682

DSCN7683

DSCN7688 (2)

DSCN7689

DSCN7694

It was fun!

Thanks for looking. Ray

• Like 40
  • Thanks 3

Very fond memories of building that kit back in the eighties. I probably paid about 1.75 too. 

You certainly did a better job of it than I. The RFC weren't shy about applying a bit of colour. It's a little jewel. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I absolutely love this model. I've spent a very long time looking at it in almost disbelief. It's just wonderful!

Going to go and read thru your build thread now and hopefully find out how it was rigged. Cheers.

The transfers are still available from hannants, I have them bookmarked and I will try my hand at achieving something similar in the future :D

• Thanks 1

What a cracker !

The Pup builds into a very small model in 1/48

It's minuscule in 1/72

Outstanding job on a trainer scheme rarely attempted, even in larger scales

Regards

David

Edited by davidl
  • Like 1

@Clio182 and @davidl thank you for those very kind comments! It was a fun build, one I remember fondly

And Clio182, I hope you found out about the rigging! 

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 1