605sqn Battle of Britain fabric winged Hurricane P/O Cooper-Slipper

Ralph

Home straight! A bit of detail painting...dull red dope for the gun ports  and also for what I take to be a repair patch on the starboard wing - as per the close up picture of the real thing. I find Tamiya red with a drop of Tamiya red brown does a good job of this over a white base coat...absolutely key for using red or yellow.

20210911_195848 20210911_195736 20210911_205432

A bit of touching up here and there, and then attaching the small bits...pitot tube, tailwheel and exhausts. These were sprayed with Tamiya gun metal, and then a coat of Mig Ammo exhaust burnt iron, which gives a nice heated treated effect.

20210911_205503

Then up on the undercarriage and a shot of Galleria gloss varnish ready for decals tomorrow. I've posed it the now complete trolley acc for effect. Have also just realised I need to mask and paint the canopy, but a job for tomorrow I think. Looks as though completion and posting for RFI in time for BoB Day on the 15th might be in the cards!

20210911_213701

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Gorgeous work, Ralph, really looking forward to seeing the finished results! The trolley acc adds a very interesting extra dimension to the vignette.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. Really enjoying this project!

Ralph

• Like 1

Just about there...decals and some light pastel weathering, plus masking and painting the canopy. The plan is to let all this dry tonight, varnish tomorrow and then post the finished model on Wednesday evening. Progress  this evening...

The decals were a combination of kit decals, and Xtradecal codes and serials. Close study of the photo gave a fairly clear indication of the style of the 'U'.

Light pastel weathering underneath to mimic the charateristic weathering from leaking oil...

20210913_220133

Exhaust staining...all a bit glossy at the moment but the Galleria matt varnish will sort that out...great stuff.

20210913_220529

Canopy masked and painted...

20210913_220225

And lastly, nothing to with this project but a very exciting visit from the postman with another addition to my collection of Osprey Superbase books,  such that I lusted after-but couldn't afford- while I was at college back in 1990. Have got 15 now, and all the ones I want apart from the book on Edwards, and the last one -which I haven't seen in the flesh - about Hickam. I can see an Esci Canadian F-5a in my future...

20210913_220246

Final installment Wednesday...81 years to the day when L2021 took off for its final sortie.

• Like 6

And it's never late to mess up...the eagle eyed will note that I have decalled the model as L2021 rather than the correct L2012...a quick bit of judicious sellotape removal of the last two digits and I'll have to sort this out tonight after work!🧐

Edited by Ralph
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Cold Lake is about a 5 hour drive southeast of here.

Chris

Just around the corner in Canadian terms. ..I grumble about going 40 mins to get to RAF Lakenheath! Puts things in perpsective!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ralph said:

Light pastel weathering underneath to mimic the charateristic weathering from leaking oil...

maybe too subtle.   This is burnt umber/black oil paint, a little added neat and then streaked with a brush wetted with lighter fuel,   panel line wash is again oil paint, burnt umber/black/white mix to make a dirty mid grey.   Note the oil stains are over the matt coat, as this allows the oily sheen to show.

46804435414_70f7f9ff7a_b.jpg

14 hours ago, Ralph said:

Exhaust staining...all a bit glossy at the moment but the Galleria matt varnish

try pastel chalk over the final matt coat.  I find W&N Galleria not dead flat, which is fine for airframes,  but exhaust deposits are dead matt,  I once got to climb onto a just landed Hurricane warbird, the pilot said to mind the deposit as it rubs off easily onto clothing,  but was noticeably a surface deposit,  

see here for some period colour  as well as more on the above.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/page/3/#elControls_3315765_menu

HTH

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

maybe too subtle.   This is burnt umber/black oil paint, a little added neat and then streaked with a brush wetted with lighter fuel,   panel line wash is again oil paint, burnt umber/black/white mix to make a dirty mid grey.   Note the oil stains are over the matt coat, as this allows the oily sheen to show.

46804435414_70f7f9ff7a_b.jpg

try pastel chalk over the final matt coat.  I find W&N Galleria not dead flat, which is fine for airframes,  but exhaust deposits are dead matt,  I once got to climb onto a just landed Hurricane warbird, the pilot said to mind the deposit as it rubs off easily onto clothing,  but was noticeably a surface deposit,  

see here for some period colour  as well as more on the above.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/page/3/#elControls_3315765_menu

HTH

Many thanks Troy. Have waited for the Galleria to dry ( as you say not dead dead matt but just a sheen that works well for airframes) and gone for a very light weathering-I tend to over do it then regret it!

• Like 1

And... done! Am not the world's greatest photographer, but it's come up well enough for me. First, the inspiration photo, and one posed  from a similar angle. Will post the full RFI tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest by the by.

20210804_151356

20210914_213252

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

Hello Ralph,

I'm new to this site. My father was Mike Cooper-Slipper and the aircraft that you describe as the one you are/were building was indeed his Hurricane, L2012, UP-V. In 1986 my father and myself along with a friend, Steve Vizard visited the site where the Hurricane crashed some 46 years to the day after the event. Steve has been on many digs throughout his career and retrieved some bits of wreckage from the site near Marden and I am in proud possession of the engine tachometer housing form that Hurricane. My father took the photo you've referenced sometime before September 15/40 at Croydon and I have the original somewhere in my possession. Please be kind enough to keep me updated on the model you are building which in all likelihood has been completed by now.

All the best from Toronto

Kind regards

Chris Cooper-Slipper

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Coop said:

Hello Ralph,

I'm new to this site. My father was Mike Cooper-Slipper and the aircraft that you describe as the one you are/were building was indeed his Hurricane, L2012, UP-V. In 1986 my father and myself along with a friend, Steve Vizard visited the site where the Hurricane crashed some 46 years to the day after the event. Steve has been on many digs throughout his career and retrieved some bits of wreckage from the site near Marden and I am in proud possession of the engine tachometer housing form that Hurricane. My father took the photo you've referenced sometime before September 15/40 at Croydon and I have the original somewhere in my possession. Please be kind enough to keep me updated on the model you are building which in all likelihood has been completed by now.

All the best from Toronto

Kind regards

Chris Cooper-Slipper

Well, that's really quite remarkable. I wouldn't have conceived for one moment that my rather niche modelling project would have ended up with me communicating with the son of the man who actually flew it, and all the way over in Canada at that. I did indeed complete it, and it is one of my favourite models  Here's the link to the Ready for Inspection post, and hope that's of interest to you! Fascinating that you visited the crash site with your father...the experience must have been profound for both of you. How did you find my work in progress?

Kind regards, Ralph

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 2

Thanks for your reply Ralph. I have since looked at the photos you posted of the model in build progress and the finished piece. Kudos to you , it looks fantastic. My dad immigrated to Canada in 1947and became a test pilot with AVRO Canada. He developed a specialty in engine development and testing and when AVRO spun off its Gas Turbine Division in 1955 b he became Chief Test Pilot for what was then Orenda Engines.  After his test pilot career ended he became involved in aircraft sales and marketing and later was with the Ontario Government where he headed up the Ontario Aviation Consortium and marketed Ontario Aerospace goods and services world wide. He died in 2004 but not before being elected to Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame for his outstanding contribution to aviation in 2003. A friend in the UK produced a 67 minute long film in 2020 and much of it centres around my father and the events of September 15/40 and the incident which brough you to make the Hurricane model. He is captured on film from a 1990 interview. It is extremely well done and if you would like to view it Id be happy to send you a link. It is on YouTube. In the meantime all the best.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Coop said:

Thanks for your reply Ralph. I have since looked at the photos you posted of the model in build progress and the finished piece. Kudos to you , it looks fantastic. My dad immigrated to Canada in 1947and became a test pilot with AVRO Canada. He developed a specialty in engine development and testing and when AVRO spun off its Gas Turbine Division in 1955 b he became Chief Test Pilot for what was then Orenda Engines.  After his test pilot career ended he became involved in aircraft sales and marketing and later was with the Ontario Government where he headed up the Ontario Aviation Consortium and marketed Ontario Aerospace goods and services world wide. He died in 2004 but not before being elected to Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame for his outstanding contribution to aviation in 2003. A friend in the UK produced a 67 minute long film in 2020 and much of it centres around my father and the events of September 15/40 and the incident which brough you to make the Hurricane model. He is captured on film from a 1990 interview. It is extremely well done and if you would like to view it Id be happy to send you a link. It is on YouTube. In the meantime all the best.

Cheers

Chris

Hallo Chris, absolutely fascinating to learn more about your father's rather stellar career! I think that all rather fits the expression 'a life well lived! I would very much be interested in seeing that film  and if you wouldn't pinging over the link that would be grand! Look forward to lesrning more  and to making those vital links back to the past that shapes today!

Kind regards  Ralph

• Like 1