605sqn Battle of Britain fabric winged Hurricane P/O Cooper-Slipper

Ralph

Hallo all,

I've long had a consuming interest in the Battle of Britain, and it's funny how niche interests can lead to niche, niche interests- if you know what I mean! In this case, I have developed an interest in early (i.e. L series serial numbers) fabric winged hurricanes that survived long enough to fly in the Battle of Britain. I've found three thus far that I can tie up with serials, code letters etc, specifically:

1) the famous KW*Z (L1591) of 615 sqn, and flown on the 18th August - the 'Hardest Day'. I've built the Airfix kit with these marks in the 80th anniversary  BoB group build last year.

2) 312 sqn (Czech) DU*J (L1926) that I think was involved in a shoot down of enemy a/c over Liverpool, although I need to find out more.

3) 605 sqn Hurri (L2021) flown by P/O TPM Cooper-Slipper on -appropriately enough- 15rh Sept 1940 -Battle of Britain Day. He was climbing to intercept and collided/rammed a Do17 of KG3 bringing both it and him down. He got out safely, although the impression I get is that it might have been different if it had been a more robust metal winged Hurricane!

It's the latter I am going to build for my annual summer holiday BoB model. The reason for becoming aware of it at all was browsing through my Battle of Britain Kaleidoscope books by the renowned Battle of Britain author Dilip Sarkar, where I spotted a fabric winged Hurricane (note the early windscreen and the winged landing light close to the wing guns) much to my excitement. In the book, Sarkar thinks that this his most evocative  pic from the BoB  and it has all the ingredients and atmosphere of a plane waiting for the scramble in that crucial summer. It had the squadron and serial number -yay- but alas no code letter info.

20210804_151432

(Always looking for a reasonably priced Vol III - they seem to be absurdly expensive!)

20210804_151356

Luckily  this is where Britmodeller is utterly fantastic, since a quick query revealed it was UP-V from squadron records -thanks AndyL!

Anyway, will be using the rather good Airfix kit with some mods, not least of which will be a replacement main canopy to replace the inaccurate kit one, a Yahu instrument panel, a Yahu harness, 5 spoke wheels and generic xtradecal codes/serials. There'll be a little scratchbuilding as well...the picture shows a distinctly non-standard windscreen mirror on the early style externally  armoured windscreen. Ought to be fun!

20210804_151455

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 16

Hi Ralph,

Great start and research: I'll be following along if I may?

It's a great little kit - the only real issues are the height of the canopy and the areas of the upper wings that should be metal, not fabric.

I've had a few issues with distortion of the wing panel mouldings, but I think I've got to the bottom of that now!

Enjoy your build!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

OK, getting the basics done. I've built the wing assembly with part of the cockpit  in place. I tend to use a mix of Tamiya and some Xtracrylix paints, in thus case Xtracrylix silver and Tamiya xf-71 interior green. The wing fit between the top and bottom of the wings isn't great, to be entirely honest, and though cutting off the location pins helps, I still have a mismatch between top and bottom which needs filler.  I've started the port wing in this regard. I've also started to remove the fabric effect behind the gun access hatches; this was metal skinned in real life. The gun ports have also been drilled out.

20210804_151706

I've also started on the fuselage internals.

20210804_151643

Am currently putting the cockpit together the Yahu instrument panel,- will post soon.

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 7

Cockpit shot...the Yahu instrument panel is great  although my photography doesn't really do it justice. The paint on the p/e harness is about dry, and I'll be getting this on shortly. I've  read that Hurricane pilots and groundcrews used to drape the harness over each side of the canopy sill to enable the quickest possible take-off when scrambling. The pic of L2021shows precisely that  so I'll do the in due course.

Oh, and I've made a pole type radio mast from plastic rod-just a bit more in scale than the kit pole mast I think...

20210804_151630

20210804_151630

20210804_152000

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 11

A little more work...the prop has been sprayed with tamiya yellow over a base coat of white, and the main airframe loosely put together to see how things are looking. The Airfix kit captures the look of the Hawker fighter very well, but the kit canopy throws things off a lot. The problem is that the middle horizontal frame is too high, which makes the lower panels rectangular rather than square. As it happens, I have a Squadron vac form but also a spare 'open hood' Arma Hurricane canopy which fits very well. More when I get back from hols!

20210804_151913

• Like 10

Right, back from hols...more work on the Hurricane. Prop done, seat belts in, fuselage buttoned up and a Quickboost gunsight in place. Waiting for the milliput to go off so I can finish sanding, and undercoated next!

Oh, and I have found a Flightpath Trolley Accumulator which will be rather fun to pose with the 'plane! Rather getting into this project!

20210816_142827

20210816_142902 20210816_144042 20210816_205544 20210816_205544 20210816_210129

• Like 14

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent, Ralph, great to see you back  and great to see your progress! Hope you enjoyed your hols, too!

Cheers,

Mark

Sure did...Northumbria at its best! Even got to visit the Kit Box model shop in Whitley Bay...used to go there as a kid  and it hasn't changed much in 35 years!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Sure did...Northumbria at its best! Even got to visit the Kit Box model shop in Whitley Bay...used to go there as a kid  and it hasn't changed much in 35 years!

Glad to hear you had a great time. It's an area of the country I've never visited although Jane, my better half, has told me it's a beautiful coast and I've been promised a holiday there. Think I'd like to visit Kit Box as well, given the opportunity - proper old-fashioned model shops are a rare treat these days!

Cheers,

Mark

Small update...very small!

Have been tidying up and finishing the cockpit  which entailed detail painting the gunsiight, and adding the scratch built reflector sight glass, which was an exercise in patience! Am pleased with the outcome.

20210824_215407

Wheels and undercarriage next...

• Like 9

More buts and pieces done. I've finished the undercarriage, including resin five spoke wheels associated with early hurricanes.

20210827_152639

I've also made headway on the flight path trolley acc...changed the handle with plastic rod into something more in scale. A quick spray up with Tamiya blue grey after replacing the rather overscale handle with plastic rod and its looking OK. I've drilled a hole to accept the cable that runs from it to the aircraft, and fashioned this from flower arranging wire of all things. I just need to find some left over Eduard wheel masks of the right size so I can do the wheel rims, and that will be finished up.

20210827_154016

Finally, and as an aside while I am waiting for the early type armoured windscreen that Airfix supply to dry after its Future dip, I played around with Arma's later type armoured windscreen as fitted to most Hurricanes. The reason for doing this is because at some point I'd like to model one of the 50 mid production Hurticanes that for some reason were fitted with fabric wings despite being produced long after the shift to metal wings. There's some really interesting threads here on Britmodeller on the subject, as well as photos of them in service during the BoB. There's a well known 601 sqn example  and it seems that Pete Townsend of 85 sqn had one as well (VY*Q). I had toyed with the idea of mating an Airfix fabric wing to an Arma fuselage, but that looks potentially hard work. My thought here is to put an Arma late windscreen on the Airfix fabric wing kit. Arma helpfully supply over trees of their thinner canopy sprue introduced with the MkIIB kit which saves biting into a kit. The difficulty is that the early windscreen has a curved base, whereas the later one was straight. As the pic shows, the Arma windscreen 'fits' quite well in terms of overall dimensions; it will just need a little filler to eradicate the curved cut out of the Airfix kit, and remember to scribe jn the later panel on the right hand side of the fuselage.

20210827_152541

Anyway, refocusing on the current project; will next be studying the pic of UP*V and working how to scratch build the distinctly non- standard rear view mirror; then it will be on to painting!

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Ralph said:

one of the 50 mid production Hurticanes that for some reason were fitted with fabric wings despite being produced long after the shift to metal wings.

need for fighters, wings already made.  Note, Peter Townsend was the S/Ldr,  I suspect he picked the fabric wing one, as they apparently were more manoeuvrable as the wing was lighter at the tips, so they may not be as obsolete as they seem.

17 minutes ago, Ralph said:

There's some really interesting threads here on Britmodeller on the subject, as well as photos of them in service during the BoB. There's a well known 601 sqn example  and it seems that Pete Townsend of 85 sqn had one as well (VY*Q).

Note, Townsend had two VY-Q, P3166,  white spinner,  lost late Aug, and then P3854,  which is the fabric wing one. famous from the airborne photo series at Church Fenton in Oct 40.

There is one, maybe 2 from 17 sq,  the one for sure, YB-F, no visible serial though, the other has a hard to read serial.    TM-V from 504 Sq, pics are in one of the Kaleidoscope books,  Vol IV and has the side and front shot of this, and a 401 Sq, though the photo does not make it clear if fabric or metal, the 601 Sq, P3886.  the quoted individual letter,  is often wrong.    I'll have to go on a hunt for details.

The Wingleader book has a photo of one with what look like a 'bullet' Rotol as well, but no codes are visible,  that would be a combination which really would look odd. 

Neat work so far.

cheers

T

• Like 2

Looking good, Ralph.  I've a few of these kits in my stash and really enjoyed building the one that I've got around to working on.  It'll be good to see how yours turns out - I'm willing to bet that it'll blow my efforts out of the water!

Evening all,

Right, another very small-but important- step, with the fabrication of the rather unusual  homebred rear view mirror. Early spitfires and hurricanes had a variety  of improvised windscreen mirrors installed on a unit level early in the BoB, where the utility of seeing one's 'six' became a matter of life or death. Some units adopted a squadron level modification, 64 sqn spitfires being a case in point. There are some non standard hurricane types if one looks, and L2021 appears to have a very unusual mirror- akin to 64 sqn as far as I can make out. Here's a close in of the original  reference pic to show you what I mean.

20210904_222202

A fiddly 20 mins with the thinnest plasticard and scalpel got me this, made with a square and two very tiny triangles of plasticard. Am rather pleased with it, and looks pretty close to the pic above I think.

20210904_222139

Oh, and a 99% complete trolley acc...just need to paint the guide wheel tyre. Priming next! I am going to aim to complete this by September 15th, BoB Day and 81 years ago to the day this Hurricane met its fate in the skies of southern England...

20210904_222238

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Another variation of a mirror installation on a fabric-winged Hurricane:

must have been on of the first ones fitted, as this is 85 Sq in France, winter 39 or spring 1940, also of note are the instrument venturi still in use, and AFAIK the disc under the cockpit is a personal emblem.  

@Ralphneat work on the mirror.

• Like 3

Very quick update...am conscious that I am going to have to get cracking to get this ready for Battle of Britain Day on the 15th. Term has started, and am rather tied up with all that...this regrettably  bites into the time every right minded chap needs for the important things in life. Am increasingly thinking that education is seriously overrated, but have to pay for model kits somehow...anyway, its a case of hurry up and wait in terms of painting the thing.  I'm glad I've got all the fiddly bits done...once the main painting is done it'll all come together very quickly. 

A quick all over prime with Tamiya interior green which surpringly showed very few areas to fix  and then an underside coat of Tamiya xf21 sky, which is my fave rendition of this colour, rightly or wrong. A good dry tonight then masking and xtracrylix dark earth awaits tomorrow...the 'wheels up' option Airfix gives you makes fab masks for the undercarriage bays.

20210908_211740

• Like 7

And on with the dark earth, courtesy of Xtracrylix. Have to say I have to work hard with this brand, and they lack the effortless and very forgiving sprayability of Tamiya paints. It is however my favourite Dark Earth...nothing else looks as right, and if nothing else the rest of my rather extensive BoB model collection  is the same paint, so it is at least consistent. I am going to let this dry good and hard overnight before it's out with the blutack and tape to mask-off for the Dark Green courtesy of Tamiya, which is again a really convincing match. It goes very well withe xtacrylix Dark earth when varnished. Then it's all the decals and detail painting when it all comes together. Anyway, meanderings on paint aside,  am looking forward to finishing the painting of this tomorrow,accompanied by Hits of the 80s on the radio, and a pile of chocolate. Life rarely gets better. Well, it does but you know what I mean...

20210909_193141

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 4

So much for a relaxing modelling  session...duly masked off using Peewit masks...thought I'd try these instead of blutack, and have to say they worked very well. Literally took a few minutes, and here we are...apparently all good. The translucent masks make the brown look like it's already been sprayed green.

20210910_201047

However, I hadn't noticed that Peewits masks were designed to be used with a base coat of green not brown...

I duly peeled off the masks to reveal one of the best paint jobs I think I have done...but something didn't look right. The penny dropped after  studying pictures that I had in fact an inverted scheme...a few choice words later, a coat of green all over, dried off using my airbrush at full blast and then remasked and sprayed brown. A high risk strategy but it seems to have paid off...am now going to leave this to dry off properly before I go near it again.

20210910_212607

Am now unclenching. I occasionally laugh when I hear talk of hobbies being relaxing. It can be very nearly as stressful as work...😬

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 5