1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout

Dear all,

Here is my first effort at a scratch build. This is modelled on Bristol Scout 1264 which lives at Old Warden in the Shuttleworth Collection. When I first set eyes on this pretty little biplane I decided I had to make one in 1/32 but no kit was available so with the encouragement of a friend I dived headlong into the scratch building pond. Although it took just over a year, most of the time was spent scratching my head, rubbing my chin and staring blankly into space. It is by no means perfect and I could spend forever retouching and refining things but if I take my glasses off it looks terrific to me from a distance and most importantly I had so much fun with this project. To anybody contemplating scratch building I would highly recommend just having a go. The materials are cheap or free, for instance the cowling is the lid of a sauce bottle. Anything you cock up can always be remade and you will learn a lot, especially about the virtues of planning and patience but above all you will have great fun. What have you got to lose?

Anyway enough my random ramblings, here are the photographs, I hope you like the Bristol Scout and are encouraged to learn about this wonderful aircraft and have a go at scratch building something.

51357347549_314c6ce09f_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51356841173_e438189d0b_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51356612421_75a2a2ee54_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51356612256_09d08de8bd_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51355870312_a92af38342_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51355869057_c5fa3c3851_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51356839613_3cf71ce4a1_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51357345679_549cb050e0_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51356610761_1a0d86bb8f_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking in.

Here is a link to the build thread in case you are interested

Richie

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

That is superb. If you hadn’t told me that was a scratch built model, it could easily pass for a Wingnut Wings kit. 

I doff my hat, sir!

Tom

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Tom! I have been closely following your ginormous Sunderland build and to receive praise from such a brilliant modeller makes me very happy!

Richie

Dunno why I didn't open this post until now- that is some beautiful scratch building! Not my scale, but I do have a resin 1/72 kit, and might summon up the courage to build it at some point, but very doubtful I can get close to what you have done! Glad you didn't do a DH-5, as I think it's butt-ugly, with that reverse wing stagger!

Mike

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Glad you didn't do a DH-5, as I think it's butt-ugly, with that reverse wing stagger!

Mike

😂😂😂😂 100% with you!

1 minute ago, IanC said:

Very impressive indeed. 

Reminds me of one of the late, great Tony Woollett's creations. 

Wow, that is high praise. Thank you! I think the great man would have had a lot to say about necessary technical refinements though. His models were just exquisite!

• Like 1

Richie,  you have done a tremendous job and your fine efforts have yielded a beautiful model, you should be very proud of your efforts.   I thoroughly enjoyed your thread fella and am now looking forward to the next one.

Really great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Well done, Richie -

First class work in a none-to-easy scale for a first attempt at scratch building - I've had the pleasure of seeing this one in the flesh and it is even better seeing it real in close up.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Well done, Richie -

First class work in a none-to-easy scale for a first attempt at scratch building - I've had the pleasure of seeing this one in the flesh and it is even better seeing it real in close up.

Regards

Dave

Many thanks Dave, it was very inspiring to meet you yesterday. It gave me the boost I needed to finish this one off. 

Richie

Outstanding result, really great!

Your comments on scratchbuilding are bang-on as well. Nice to see someone just wading in,  having a go and producing something this good. 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Never a Pro said:

This is other-worldly impressive. Now I look at my kit stash and I look like a little kid using a bicycle with training wheels…

Please don't put your work down! I've seen your skills and they are impressive indeed! 

Richie

2 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

I have my glasses *on* and I can say it looks superb! I am in awe of pure scratchbuilders and your model is right up there with the best I have seen on this forum 👍

Don't be in awe, wade in and have a go. You may find it is much easier than you think. That at least was the advice I was given before the start of this project and it was good advice too! 

Many thanks for your kind comment though.

Richie

6 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Outstanding result, really great!

Your comments on scratchbuilding are bang-on as well. Nice to see someone just wading in,  having a go and producing something this good. 👍

Cheers Steve, it was so great to have you offering advice and encouragement in the build thread. Do you get that "what next?" moment after a long project too?

Richie

• Like 1

As a first attempt it ain't half bad. Like Ian I thought of Tony Woollett when I saw it. 

He like you always suggested giving it a go. But that's all very well. I think you need a modicum of talent to produce such work

Brilliant. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

Do you get that "what next?" moment after a long project too?

For me it’s more of a ‘Which next?’ rather than    ‘What next’ moment as I have a mental list of hundreds of possible future projects and scores of sets of plans to choose from. Unfortunately I often rather foolishly start the next project before finishing the previous one.  Your approach is much wiser.

• Like 1