1/72 Eduard Spitfire VIII A58-457 457 Squadron RAAF

This wasn't on my production line but having all the paints out for the Spitfire Vc I was working on and having reread the Eduard "Aussie 8" book again, I decided to do a quick build of "Sweet as a Song", a really attractive looking scheme. The plane is the aircraft of Squadron Leader Tom Trimble who I'd been listening to an audio interview about recently. Tom worked after his RAAF career at ARL (Aeronautical research labs) in Melbourne now absorbed into DSTG. I suspect he was the boss of one of our well known Britmodeller members 😀.

It's finished in Foliage Green/Dark Earth/Azure Blue with the original large roundels overpainted with RAAF Dark Earth. All the main paints were Colourcoats other than the Foliage Green which is Humbrol 30. Hu 30 is meant to be the equivalent of Authentics HB1 which I used as a match for Foliage Green on one of my Boomerangs. Painting out the swatch showed it to be a close match to HB1 so it was conscripted into use. One difference is the consistency of HB1 and Hu 30. Like many modern Humbrol paints Hu 30 is more like a paste and needs extensive thinning to make it ready for an airbrush (or paint brush).

The build went together pretty easily as I've done a heap of this kit. The only real variation was using the closed door/open canopy option supplied by Eduard as the nose art of the plane partially overlaps the cockpit door. Some variations with the finish are the aluminium painted tyres to reduce sun wear and the extensive exhaust staining caused by testing lean fuel mix to extend range. The only after market parts were the Falcon canopy and the Barracuda treaded tyres.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Michael

• Like 26

Thanks for the comments.

Tempestwulf - The Vc is already complete. I posted it the day before. I only started the Mk VIII after it was finished but only got around to the photos after this model was finished.

Bertie - There is a Wirraway that has been parked while I put the Mk VIII in the express lane. I also plan to start a famous opponent of the Spitfire but with a twist. I'll leave that one for when its ready for display.

Cheers

Michael