Halt and Catch Fire (1/72 Brengun Typhoon Ib)

11 hours ago, Railfan87 said:

What do you use to attach the presumably painted under-bits to the painted fuselage?

Lately I've been using this stuff, bought originally for attaching canopies which it does well too, but then discovered it sticks painted bits to painted bits well too, as strong as the paint adheres anyway, much like CA I'd guess.

Typhoon looking really good Edward, bugger about the stray doggie. :( :D 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My house has lost power in a massive thunderstorm, so further work is delayed until it comes back on. Annoyingly, neither the kit markings nor the Aviaeology stencils contain the wing walkways at either root, and being curvy they're difficult to mask. I don't suppose someone in the USA has a set from the Airfix kit they don't want...? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Procopius said:

My house has lost power in a massive thunderstorm, so further work is delayed until it comes back on. Annoyingly, neither the kit markings nor the Aviaeology stencils contain the wing walkways at either root, and being curvy they're difficult to mask. I don't suppose someone in the USA has a set from the Airfix kit they don't want...? 

For once, we were unscathed by power outages. Sorry to hear you're suffering in the gloaming, and hope the power comes on soon.

As it happens, I believe I have those decals. I'll have to check, but if I have them, they're yours. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

My house has lost power in a massive thunderstorm, so further work is delayed until it comes back on.

Um, look on the bright side mate: if you've got any ice cream in the freezer this is the time for an impromptu party :party:

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Lately I've been using this stuff, bought originally for attaching canopies which it does well too, but then discovered it sticks painted bits to painted bits well too, as strong as the paint adheres anyway, much like CA I'd guess.

Thanks, Steve.  Nice of you to provide a link in Canada, too (eh?)  How does the shelf life of G-S Hypo Cement compare to CA?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.  I have an Academy Typhoon in the queue once I get a few other things done.

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

My house has lost power in a massive thunderstorm, so further work is delayed until it comes back on.

The same storm missed us to the south.  Didn't have to fire up the generator to make my wife's coffee this morning.

Edited by Railfan87

10 hours ago, Railfan87 said:

How does the shelf life of G-S Hypo Cement compare to CA?

Pretty good I reckon, I've had my tube for probably 10 or so years & it's just as useable as it was to begin with. I didn't think a link for New Zealand would have been very useful :) 

Steve.

• Like 3

I ought to post an update, oughtn't I? 

PXL_20210910_013107554

As you can see: some light panel line washing, gear on,  RP rails (after seemingly endless deflashing) added, resin exhausts painted, weathered, and added...once the USPS drops off the wing walks that John (who is even more generous than he is handsome, if such a thing can be imagined) mailed to me, I'll apply them, lay down a second gloss coat to blend stuff in, and then the spinner and matte coat. I should probably add the whip aerial if I can figure out how to do it without messing up. 

• Like 27

PXL_20210910_201205958

And we have wing walks, thanks to @John Laidlaw! Not since my future mother in law gave the future Mrs P a book on "settling" while we were dating have the stars aligned so fortuitously for me. And just like Mrs P, the model and decals were subjected to a brief, fumbling, and likely unsatisfying on their part experience at my hands.

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

Okay, here we go! 

Dullcoat applied, spinner on, canopy mask off. 

PXL_20210911_002233729

I still need to unmask the wings and do some chipping around the cowl abaft the spinner, clean the dust off the canopy, and maybe, if I'm feeling frisky (and daring, and inventive), add the whip aerial.  But otherwise she's more or less done. The kit RP-3s are kind of dire and have no decals for the very prominent stenciling on those weapons, so I opted to leave them off. I did note that photos of RP-3 rails tended to show two parallel thin black cylinders running the length of each rails' underside, which are not in evidence in the kit either. I can't win.

I'm reasonably happy with this, though. 

PXL_20210911_002215955

PXL_20210911_002206771

PXL_20210911_002224359

• Like 30

4 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I love camera angles here, that Typhoon looks pretty dang intimidating PC.

Thanks! I feel like it's some of my best camera work. They almost look as good as a Cookie model, circa 2016! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely job mate, you've really done her justice B) 

Regarding the whip aerial, should you choose to fit one... what about a bristle from an old toothbrush, or similar nylon brush? If it didn't look too out of scale, it would be bendy enough not to worry about breaking it off every time you looked at it :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1