Halt and Catch Fire (1/72 Brengun Typhoon Ib)

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

Possum?  Surely it’s an Opossum.  Possums are Australian (and introduced into New Zealand) and not so evil looking!

AW

And don't forget their Irish cousins, the O'Possums :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

I just checked the trap again, and there's another opossum in it. I'm beginning to think it's the same one. At $95 every time they reset the trap, I'm about ready to just bayonet the damn thing with my Martini-Henry and pretend it never happened. 

Anyway, after a long and stressful day at work after an outside org spite-retweeted something we wrote and got us twitter bombed, I managed to do the last of the stripes.

First I measured the height of the codes with my handy-dandy precision micrometer, which I normally use to ensure the .303 bullets I make don't blow my hands off, but which came in handy now. 

I mapped out where they should go using my quarter-inch tape, which should scale exactly to the width of both the invasion stripes and the codes:

PXL_20210903_015725630

There's enough human error in this to keep them from being too uniform, I think.

Then I masked off and sprayed the black stripes.

PXL_20210903_032645592

PXL_20210903_032648953

I nearly bunged off the tailwheel completely removing the masking -- it should be illegal to require the undercarriage be attached when the fuselage is closed up -- and will have to shore it up in the fullness of time. 

Also, as you probably noticed, I achieved some inadvertent weathering/paint chipping, probably caused by my haste to mask, paint, and unmask. 

PXL_20210903_032652155

Harrumph. I'll probably want to repaint that, I'm not sure it would have chipped away that badly by 10 June, four days after the invasion. 

But now we're getting very close to clearcoating and then decals. Home stretch!

• Like 22

An accidental spray of Ocean grey on its fur will soon tell you if the pest guys are pranking you PC

I think you should stop feeding the little sod, cant you spice up the bait with something more deadly?

A .303 might be good...

It's a sod about the masking too, at least colour matching should be easy.

:(

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Try an old-style beaver trap. Considerably less humane, but you know it won't be coming back (except to haunt you). I spent a weekend setting some in SC at my buddy's farm and they are scary things.

Back on topic: Tiffie looks excellent and the invasion stripes (and the thingeys that hold the tail on) are looking super!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could go back to my sister's, who inherited the family farm in Nova Scotia, and find some old leg-hold trap there. But it would likely cut it in two and make an awful mess.

I know it did a lot of damage to a 30+ pound raccoon about 50 years ago. Stopped it from getting the chickens.

Chris

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

I could go back to my sister's, who inherited the family farm in Nova Scotia, and find some old leg-hold trap there. But it would likely cut it in two and make an awful mess.

ea3b8a33-a99b-4074-92c7-7fd5f71b5aa1_tex

• Haha 10

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

Formally yes, but I've never heard or seen anyone in the USA call one an opossum.

Ah, I didn’t know that.  You learn something everyday.

AW

• Like 1

So I fixed up the damaged invasion stripe.

PXL_20210905_023632177

If anything, it looks slightly worse in person, but I'm very much hoping a gloss coat or two smooths things out.

Then it was time to mask and paint the cannon fairings. As far as I can tell, the fairings were painted the uppersurface colour all the way 'round for one reason or another. On the Typhoon, it seems like the starboard outboard cannon was Dark Green, and the other three were Ocean Grey, with the front half of the port outboard fairing Dark Green again. Anyway, that's what I did.

PXL_20210905_023616554

PXL_20210905_023605104

This isn't perfect -- the circular plates where the fairings meet the fuselage should also be the same colour -- but I am but a man. I think the next step will be glosscoating for decals. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

If anything, it looks slightly worse in person, but I'm very much hoping a gloss coat or two smooths things out.

Wouldn't lose sleep over it. There's pictures out there of the invasion striped being applied by bucket and broom, and if the following is any guide to how others did it, yours is pristine!

spacer.png

• Like 8

I hear that photo was posed specially to give future modellers a perfect excuse to be sloppy.

In real life miles of masking tape were used in England on the 3rd and 4th of June that year...

Yeah like...

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Ish said:

Wouldn't lose sleep over it. There's pictures out there of the invasion striped being applied by bucket and broom, and if the following is any guide to how others did it, yours is pristine!

I've always wondered about this photo -- the paint on the ailerons makes me wonder if it wasn't staged, since I'd always thought they were supposed to be kept free of additional paint due to balance issues. Arguing against that is the presence of the drop tank underneath and what looks like a gyro gunsight in the cockpit.

The photos of operational aircraft never seem to show this ragged appearance.  Seems to me that "Flight" would have been around with some pointed comments before the aircraft flew.

However, the problem is that a model with ragged stripes looks like the modeller wasn't a very good painter rather than being a stickler for accuracy.  So decide what you want to do with the model - is anyone but you ever going to see it?

• Like 3

Really depended on what was flying the day before.  Some squadrons were not on ops or at least had planes not scheduled to fly and these are the ones that seemed to get the most care in applying the stripes.  Others had to be quickly done the night before and definitely looked more sloppy.

If you like them perfectly straight, do it that way.  If you like a little slop, go for it.  

Glossed and decals on!

PXL_20210907_000420538

PXL_20210907_000404421

I opted to use the Aviaeology Typhoon stencils (the Brengun kit comes with no stencils of its own) since I decided in for a penny, in for a pound. In general, all went smoothly, except that I put the little dog too far up on the nose (it should be in the bottom left corner of that square panel) and couldn't shift it for love nor money. I assumed that the stencils covered by the invasion stripes would have been painted over, but otherwise applied them all. There honestly weren't that many. I had figured that, as with Spitfires, there would be some for the spinner and manufacturer's badges for the prop blades, but if they existed, they're not in evidence on the sheet. 

• Like 24

Mate, I was impressed with how it was looking before, but the transfers have taken it up a notch B) You got the cut-outs in the fuselage stripes to fit the codes perfectly!

As for the 'wee dug', I wouldn't have noticed it was slightly misplaced if you hadn't mentioned it, it's there and that's the main thing. Westie Club approved :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

She's on her pins!

PXL_20210907_022912417

As with so many limited-run kits, landing gear was frustrating, BUT I WON.

PXL_20210907_024820954

PXL_20210907_024123869

I added some pigments to weather the wheels, and did a little panel washing. 

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

You got the cut-outs in the fuselage stripes to fit the codes perfectly!

Micrometers: more than just for counting rivets. But yes, I'm more than a little chuffed myself.

• Like 24

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

She's on her pins!

As with so many limited-run kits, landing gear was frustrating, BUT I WON.

Looks great!

Serious question from a picker-up of learning's crumbs: What do you use to attach the presumably painted under-bits to the painted fuselage?  Do you use CA or carefully mask all the gluing surfaces before painting? 
I'm just at the ready to decal stage of my first aircraft build in more than forty years, and, regrettably, I installed the landing gear prior to painting.  My Defiant has had a broken leg, surgically, and clumsily, repaired by an old man with questionable eyesight and shakier hands than I'd like.  There's a reason it's my 'practice build.'

Stumbled on this  thread this morning, and have read it end to end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Railfan87 said:

Serious question from a picker-up of learning's crumbs: What do you use to attach the presumably painted under-bits to the painted fuselage?  Do you use CA or carefully mask all the gluing surfaces before painting? 

Hi Chris! I just use CA, as it doesn't damage the paint finish. I find that a liberal amount of swearing also helps.

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Hi Chris! I just use CA, as it doesn't damage the paint finish. I find that a liberal amount of swearing also helps.

Thanks very much.  I have a good stock of both!

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

except that I put the little dog too far up on the nose (it should be in the bottom left corner of that square panel) and couldn't shift it for love nor money. 

Well! That's it! It's ruined now!

Honestly, Edward, that looks absolutely grand! Well done!

Chris