ICM Dornier Do17 Z-7 ***FINISED***

Walter

If you're  referring to the engine mounts I don't think there is any other way.  Even the landing gear has to be installed first.  So far I haven't broken anything probably because I purposely left the wing off the fuselage until the engines were finished,  its made this part of the build so much easier. 

Anyway dry fit the engine and cover, the exposed  cooler needed a little attention otherwise the cowls weren't going to fit in. 

2021-08-27_09-36-21

• Like 7

Let the painting begin. The plan is

1 a base metal colour for the top wing to incorporate weathering in the final finish.

2 original camouflage that would have been on an E2.

3 final coat of black on the underside wings and sides of the fuselage. 

I have no idea how this will go especially as I want to incorporate a heavy chipping finish and that will be a long way off so it's a big unknown if the chipping will work.

2021-09-01_08-30-35

2021-09-01_08-31-05

• Like 4

Starting to paint the original camouflage of a Do17 before it becomes a night fighter. It's a tricky camouflage to mask for painting at least for me. Using Mr Hobby rlm 71 and rlm 70.

Rlm71 first.

2021-09-06_02-01-59

Then masking for rlm71

2021-09-06_02-05-30

Now here the problem starts I knew even before I started that I would have difficulty masking over salt aswell as paint that has weathering solution underneath it. Well here is the result which was to be expected. I've got paint peel which will need to be rectified. I'll leave it for a day to let the paint cure the start the repair work. Very delicately I may add.

2021-09-06_02-05-45

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Walter said:

More paint peeling. this is asking a lot of me. I will not let it beat me! 

That's the spirit!  From how it's looking so far, I'm sure the effort will be worth it in the end :thumbsup:

Hi guys a little more progress .I lost some of the weathering I had previously unfortunately due to all the peeling paint problems so I've taken a different approach and adapted the weathering. Please bare in mind this is very new to me and I've not attempted these techniques before. 

I still want to add more modulation in colour to emphasise fading and the staffel markings need more work to make it look like the original which showed signes of over painting.

Anyway this is it this far. 

2021-09-14_06-12-48

2021-09-14_06-13-02

2021-09-14_06-13-15

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Walter said:

I want to leave one engine open so to do this properly I'm going to scratch build parts 1 and 2 using ICM's instructions as a guide. 

This should be interesting Walter:popcorn:

• Walter changed the title to ICM Dornier Do17 Z-7 ***FINISED***
1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Well done Walter. I like the idea of going for the original green camo. It also made sense of the heavy weathering. I will finish my Do 17z tomorrow. It is factoryfresh. 

I might change that later.

Thanks Greg, looking forward to seeing your final reveal, Is there a WIP?

Edited by Walter