1/72 Matchbox Brewster Buffalo in Indian Service - yes, you read that correctly

This is part of a group build. I wanted to build my 1/48 Tamiya but I was short on time and had to choose between the Aoshima or Matchbox kits in my stash and chose Matchbox. Many years back I saw Jagan Pillarisetti's research where he traced flight logs to discover that Indian pilots flew a couple of Buffalos that at one time belonged to 67 sqdn and were flown to India as Singapore and Burma fell. These were acquired and flown by No.22 AACU (RAF/IAF composite unit that was later IAF). This is one of the 2 aircraft that the Indian pilots of No.22 AACU flew based on Jagan's research - W8245.

The build is entirely OOB except for the decals. For 1/72 scale I use my hair for antenna wire as I have done here as well. Paints, wash, gloss and dull coats are all Tamiya.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
Typo
  • Like 40

7 hours ago, Winenut said:

Always great to see a Matchbox kit come to life!

Nicely done

If I used my hair for the aerial wire they could only be 5mm long! 🤣 

Thx Winenut! 

28 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

There's a part of you in every build. Napoleonic POWs used to make ships and rig them with their hair so you have a good precedent.

Blood and sweat with my sloppy hands and the Texas heat 😂 Great trivia about Napoleonic PoWs 👍 I will use it 

Lovely stuff, that old Matchbox kit looks great OOB and thanks for the interesting information on Buffalos in India - a new one on me!

If you build a much larger aircraft in 1/72 (a Sunderland, say) do you have to grow your hair out?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Lovely stuff, that old Matchbox kit looks great OOB and thanks for the interesting information on Buffalos in India - a new one on me!

If you build a much larger aircraft in 1/72 (a Sunderland, say) do you have to grow your hair out?!

So I donate my hair every couple of years to the locks of love and I am just around the one foot mark for donations right now. I say bring that Sunderland on!! 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful Buffalo, lovely job on the old Matchbox !

Wulfman

Thank you Wulfman. So much childhood nostalgia with old Matchbox kits. It gets me to my happy place

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wombat said:

Ah the buffalo...looks like a hasegawa eggplane in real life...

Now that you mention it 🤣 and though outclassed it still gave a good account of itself

21 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Best get in touch with @tomprobert

Happy to but what is the context Mike?

Edited by Madmaks