O-2A Cessna Skymaster of the Wisconsin Air National Guard

Just now, Pete in a shed said:

Great work on this, you've produced a little masterpiece.:like:

Pete

Hardly a masterpiece — this one will never go to a contest (too many technical flaws), but I do have a place reserved for it in my display case.

Well you did a great job considering the base material. I remember the kit as part of a slightly implausible Airfix Vietnam Dogfight Double with a Mig 21. In fact highly implausible.

I have a slight issue with your comment about the conversion from Delta Daggers to 0-2s.  Certainly some pilots might have been horrified but remember in Vietnam many FAC pilots came from fast jets and found it to be real seat of the pants flying, low level down in the weeds. Particularly compared to the highly structured strategic intercept mission the Daggers performed. 

I say that but I'd choose the jet too. But believe me hauling around an aircraft the size of the Cessna at low level is a ball. 

Wouldn't it be nice if someone brought out an up to date 0-2?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, noelh said:

But believe me hauling around an aircraft the size of the Cessna at low level is a ball. 

I totally agree. I fly a Cessna 172SP in real life, and would love the opportunity to fly a Skymaster. 

On the other hand, if I were given the choice to fly either a Cessna, or a supersonic fighter, I’d definitely choose the hotrod. 

I reckon you've done an excellent job. The tooling itself is ancient dating back to the 70s or may even be the 60s? No surprises it's not an easy build. Thing about the kit though, it does on UK ebay auction go for imo crazy prices. Mainly heading towards £20 or $27 USD. Throw in another £5 and you can have a new tool big model Airfix Buccaneer :lol:

13 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Thing about the kit though, it does on UK ebay auction go for imo crazy prices. Mainly heading towards £20 or $27 USD. 

Tell me about it! And, the ARII kit (marginally worse than Airfix) isn’t any cheaper, sometimes even more. 

That is superb Bill.  I have the old Airfix dogfight set (this and a MiG-21).  I haven't even looked at the O-2 but seeing yours come to life has made me realise that it will be sitting in the box for some time yet....!!!  That is quite some work that you've put in to make it look respectable.

Phil

• Thanks 1

Just now, Booty003 said:

That is superb Bill.  I have the old Airfix dogfight set (this and a MiG-21).  I haven't even looked at the O-2 but seeing yours come to life has made me realise that it will be sitting in the box for some time yet....!!!  That is quite some work that you've put in to make it look respectable.

Phil

Thank you, Phil. I have another Airfix Skymaster sitting in my stash. Having built this one, and seeing all the things I could have done to make it better, I’m tempted to do it again and take the proper time at it. But, that’s for another day… or year… or decade. Maybe even, another life! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Your skill (and excellent eyesight!) have turned a sow's ear into a silk purse! Amazing work!

Excellent eyesight? Well.... I used to be near-sighted, and had to take my glasses off to do modeling. Then, I had cataract surgery, which gave me excellent far vision (20-10) but terrible vision up close. I use 2.25-strength reading glasses for computer work. But, for modeling, I need stronger glasses. 3.25 when airbrushing, 4.5 for "normal" building, and 6.0 for the really close-in detailing:

51362387252_c16cd7a63c_z.jpg 

Also, a bright light is essential when working at the higher powers:

51363141656_b9c9b3d613_z.jpg 

• Like 4