Aufklarer, a 1/48 Henschel Hs-126 in Winter.

modelling minion

15 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I agree with ray, very brave indeed, i wouldn't  dare do it, the wing upper looks especially good

Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

The good thing about this whitewash is that if you aren't happy with the results you can literally wash it off and start again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

The good thing about this whitewash is that if you aren't happy with the results you can literally wash it off and start again.

I'll  have to pick a victim and have a bash

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Craig.. Now sir that is how you do it. I still need to do a Stuka, 109, and 190 in whitewash someday. 

Thanks Dennis, very kind of you to say so.

I would love to see you do a 109, 190 and Stuka in the winter camo, they do look very good in it and it is a fairly straight forward process that I have no doubt you would make a great job of.

• Thanks 1

Looking good Craig. You seen to have a good technique going for you. 

Mine will be a BOB plane so I won't have to worry about coming up to your standard. 

In the meantime I'm working on a big German beast which will have a complex Camo.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looking good Craig. You seen to have a good technique going for you. 

Mine will be a BOB plane so I won't have to worry about coming up to your standard. 

In the meantime I'm working on a big German beast which will have a complex Camo.

Thanks Greg, though I'm not sure anybody has to worry about coming up to my standards, or lack of!

Intrigued by your big beast with complex camo, do tell!.

No progress to report as such, though she did come very close to a "test flight" a short while ago. As I feared getting all the struts to stay fixed in place and aligned is about as easy as shoveling fog. ICM (as it is there kit that Italeri have boxed) have only provided very shallow location points for the struts which brings zero strength to the joins, I am going to have a couple more goes at getting this joined together tomorrow when I will hopefully be in a better frame of mind.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

No progress to report as such, though she did come very close to a "test flight" a short while ago. As I feared getting all the struts to stay fixed in place and aligned is about as easy as shoveling fog. ICM (as it is there kit that Italeri have boxed) have only provided very shallow location points for the struts which brings zero strength to the joins, I am going to have a couple more goes at getting this joined together tomorrow when I will hopefully be in a better frame of mind.

That stinks Craig , how about possibly using tiny pins made from stiff wire or brass ? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That stinks Craig , how about possibly using tiny pins made from stiff wire or brass ? 

It certainly does stink Dennis. I thought about using something to pin them in place but the struts are so thin that it just won't be possible, I shall be having a crack at it soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Keep at it Craig. These high wing installations are always very hard. It took me a few goes to get the trainer's wing close to right.

I have unfortunately reached the end of my patience with this one Greg, I have tried everything I can think of to get the wing in place with all the struts aligned and it simply won't work. I am seriously cheesed off (stronger words aren't allowed on here) with this thing as I was quite pleased with how she looked but to save what is left of my modelling mojo I am calling a halt to things before I ruin the paint work with any more glue than it already has on it.

Sorry for not finishing @CliffB and the rest of you guys as I have wanted to build this for a while.

• Sad 4

Don't worry Craig I've had this kit part built for a few years and have been too chicken to complete it. At least you gave it ago. The Hs 123 from Italeri was just as bad. We need Gaspatch to do a Hs 126. They did a great job of their Hs 123.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Don't worry Craig I've had this kit part built for a few years and have been too chicken to complete it. At least you gave it ago. The Hs 123 from Italeri was just as bad. We need Gaspatch to do a Hs 126. They did a great job of their Hs 123.

Cheers Greg, I am really disappointed that I haven't completed her as I have wanted to do one for a long time but it was anything but fun and this is supposed to be a hobby after all.

Funnily enough I built the Italeri/ESCI Hs-123 about 10 years ago and had far less trouble with it than I did with this one, though I would very much like to have a go at the Gaspatch kit.

I'm sorry to hear that this one's turned into a bit of a 'mare, Craig.  I'm sure you've made the right decision (for now at least ;)).

Thanks for supporting the Group Build.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dansk said:

Oh no craig what a shame. I feel your pain mate. 😢

Thanks mate, we've all been there haven't we.

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm sorry to hear that this one's turned into a bit of a 'mare, Craig.  I'm sure you've made the right decision (for now at least ;)).

Thanks for supporting the Group Build.

Cheers

Thanks Cliff, I really am sorry to not be finishing this one for the GB. It's been a great GB with a really good variety of interesting subjects being built and has been a pleasure to take part in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

So what’s next then Craig? Telford is a little while off yet to get your phantom.

still plenty of time left on the F-14 stgb if that fits your fancy and stash?

Priority now is to finish my Draken Paul, I am going to try to just have one build on the go at a time. That means I probably won't have time for the Tomcat STGB as much as I would like to. I have a few personal projects that I would like to at least make a start on, without any GB pressure!

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Great shame not to see it finished. Definitely a micro drill and fine copper wire pinning job on the major struts. I think it would also require a small drop of Gel CA added with a toothpick or needle to get a quick and robust hold. Followed up by wicking in a small amount of Tamiya Extra Thin which will not damage the paint and further increase the joint strength. The Gel CA followed by Tamiya Extra Thin is a technique I use quite of often with tricky holds.  Jigging would also help.

What can I say other than challenging.

Ray

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Craig,

Great shame not to see it finished. Definitely a micro drill and fine copper wire pinning job on the major struts. I think it would also require a small drop of Gel CA added with a toothpick or needle to get a quick and robust hold. Followed up by wicking in a small amount of Tamiya Extra Thin which will not damage the paint and further increase the joint strength. The Gel CA followed by Tamiya Extra Thin is a technique I use quite of often with tricky holds.  Jigging would also help.

What can I say other than challenging.

Ray

Thanks Ray, some sound advice there for if/when I re-visit the Henschel. I don't like giving up on a model but this just got to the point where it was sucking my remaining enthusiasm dry, probably not helped by going through a bit of a rough patch long covid wise which doesn't help attention span or enthusiasm for much at all. She isn't in the bin or broken though so hopefully in the future I shall get her completed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Ray, some sound advice there for if/when I re-visit the Henschel. I don't like giving up on a model but this just got to the point where it was sucking my remaining enthusiasm dry, probably not helped by going through a bit of a rough patch long covid wise which doesn't help attention span or enthusiasm for much at all. She isn't in the bin or broken though so hopefully in the future I shall get her completed.

My response is one of those where you want to respond "sad" or "like" so I finished with the "like" hoping you can foster the determination to get it done at some time.

• Thanks 1