Aufklarer, a 1/48 Henschel Hs-126 in Winter.

modelling minion

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of progress on this one, the problem of having 2 builds on the go at the same time.

I have decided that I am going to leave my Draken alone until I have got this one across the line so have got the main painting done over the weekend, the problem with splinter type camo is that it takes much longer to mask than it does to paint! But done it is and I have given everything a coat of gloss in preparation for the decals which I am going to make a start on today, so this is what the fuselage looks like;

spacer.png

And here is the top surface of the wing;

spacer.png

You might have noticed that I haven't painted the rudder yellow as it is shown in the profile in the Aufklarer book and have painted the fuselage theatre marking in a different position too, that is because I believe the profiler's interpretation of the photo to be wrong. Looking at the few pics there are of this aircraft (and others in the same unit) the rudder should actually be in the original camo colour with a temporary white coat on top, the reason it looks darker in the pic in the Aufklarer book is because it is at a slight angle. Other pics of the aircraft clearly show it to be white, and besides it would not look that badly chipped if it was a proper theatre marking as these were painted better and maintained better, and the only Hs-126's to have yellow rudders were used in the Balkans.

There is no evidence to support the artists idea of where the fuselage theate marking goes either, but if you look at the picture they have used you can see what looks like a straight line on the fuselage by the letters AK of the aircraft code so that it where I am placing my yellow band, other aircraft of the unit have it in that location too.

So thats how she looks at the minute, thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

I love your detective work and reasoning Craig. Great stuff. 

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Lovely work so far Craig :thumbsup2:.   Shadows often seem to present challenges when interpreting old B&W photos!

Cheers

Cheers Paul and Cliff, interpreting B&W pictures can be fun at times and different people looking at the same picture can come up with different results. I am not saying that I am better at it than anyone but my interpretation of the few pictures available of this aircraft and others from the same unit has lead me to a different conclusion to that of the artist for the profile.

The decals will be finished today, once I find suitable swastika's in the decal stash, so more pictures later hopefully.

• Like 2

Well as hoped for the decals are done and pictures have been taken! 

I mostly used the kit decals with the exception of the swastikas (which came from an Aeromaster sheet for Bf-109's) and the 6 ( from a 21st Century Toys 1/32 Ju-87 sheet) and the other K (from an ICM 1/48 Do-17Z sheet) and they behaved quite nicely and with my usual technique of applying them onto a wet coat of Klear and when in place putting another coat over the top they have settled into the recessed details very nicely. Here are some pics of how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the next step is the interesting one, applying the whitewash!!!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Looking good mate. Looks like they have gone down very well craig

When you say on top of a wet coat, it’s dried right?

Cheers Paul.

No its still wet when the decals go on. I give the whole airframe a gloss coat first and leave it to dry, then when I am ready to apply the decals I brush on some Klear in the area that the decal will go and apply the decal onto it. Then I get the decal to sit exactly where I want it and apply another coat on top of it, that way when it dries it sucks everything into the details.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Paul.

No its still wet when the decals go on. I give the whole airframe a gloss coat first and leave it to dry, then when I am ready to apply the decals I brush on some Klear in the area that the decal will go and apply the decal onto it. Then I get the decal to sit exactly where I want it and apply another coat on top of it, that way when it dries it sucks everything into the details.

Thats so clever. I’ve never heard of that method before, I have to experiment with this on a mule.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Hi Craig.  Do you do the second coat of Klear immediately after the decal is positioned?  And is that second application by brush also?

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 1

Great job Craig, you really have that decal method using Klear well sorted out. I am now looking forward to your white wash. Ready to throw on a Parka in preparation.

Ray 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice job craig, looks great 👍.well researched too

Cheers mate.

3 hours ago, Prenton said:

Hi Craig.  Do you do the second coat of Klear immediately after the decal is positioned?  And is that second application by brush also?

Thanks,

Philip

Hi Philip, yes I put the second coat on the decal immediately after the decal is placed, and yes I use a brush for that too.

30 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Great job Craig, you really have that decal method using Klear well sorted out. I am now looking forward to your white wash. Ready to throw on a Parka in preparation.

Ray 

Thanks Ray, I am looking forward to the whitewash too, I will probably make a start this evening.

• Like 1

Looks fab! The Airfix one was my first kit in my grown up “proper modelling” phase just over ten years ago, and my late Dad had a soft spot for this type too, so I’m keen to see how you get on. I’ve only done a couple, but I’ve found winter whitewash is fun to do, more scrubbing paint off than putting it on!

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] PS what paint did you use for the RLM 70/71?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks fab! The Airfix one was my first kit in my grown up “proper modelling” phase just over ten years ago, and my late Dad had a soft spot for this type too, so I’m keen to see how you get on. I’ve only done a couple, but I’ve found winter whitewash is fun to do, more scrubbing paint off than putting it on!

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] PS what paint did you use for the RLM 70/71?

Thanks Adrian, I have built a couple of the Airfix kits over the years and remember it being a nice kit, the Hs-126 is a great looking aircraft so I understand your Dad having a soft spot for them, as do I.

The whitewashing can be a fun process, as you say lots of time spent removing it as well as applying it.

Should have said what paint I used, its Gunze acrylic.

And speaking of whitewash the first coat has been done!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks rough doesn't it, wait until you have a closer look!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh yes, very rough!! Wait until the next two coats go on (3 is usually enough) and then it will look even worse! Don't worry though as once it is sanded back it will take on the effect I am looking for, hopefully!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10

Craig, looks like you're working your magic with the white wash again. You deserve another medal for bravery.

Ray

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Terrible painting! Looks like someone slapped a load of whitewash on in a hurry with a broom! :)

The same problem you get with wobbly D-Day stripes…

Regards,

Adrian

I know it really is shocking isn't it, almost as if the ground crew (and me) didn't put their hearts into it or were busy with other things.😁

26 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Craig, looks like you're working your magic with the white wash again. You deserve another medal for bravery.

Ray

Thanks Ray, it will turn out fine, or it won't and if it doesn't it is easy enough to remove and apply again.

• Like 1

Okay, the how to (or not too if you don't like how mine turns out) class on temporary winter washes continues, and concludes too! The next step was applying a couple more coats of the whitewash until I got a colour density that I was happy with, this usually takes three coats for me, and this is what she looked like;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes it does look terrible doesn't it, and feels it too as it is very rough. So to sort it out I take a damp piece of 3M polishing pad or micromesh and gently rub it in the direction of the airflow, the dampness turns the whitewash back to liquid;

spacer.png

Hopefully you can see that in the photo above. Then use a cloth or piece of kitchen roll and wipe away the excess, again in the direction of the airflow, and you are left with this;

spacer.png

Much better. Do this a little bit at a time and only a smallish area at a time (especially if this is your first time) until you are happy with the results and then carry on until you have finished the whole aircraft. After i had got the results I wanted I gave her a panel line wash, but not too stark, and this is how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It may not be 100% accurate to the picture but lets face it she didn't stay that weathered for long and I am happy with how she looks so far. Next step will be to give her a protective matt coat and then I can finish up the weathering and get started on the final bits for the build, which always take me a life time!

Craig.

• Like 6