My first 3D model: Kosmosur 3D's Douglas A-4B

Hello guys, while I wait for the last parts of my 109 to dry, I decided to take the first photos of my first 3D printed model: Kosmosur 3D's A-4B in 1:72.

The model came with decals from Calcas del Sur for a bare metal or camouflaged aircraft.

Here's a photo of the model. More photos soon.

sxnQI8P.jpg

The brown patch was painted by me to test if the paint would stick to the surface.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

windscreen and canopy

They're moulded into the main body of the plane, and are opaque, so no interior painting this time.

• Thanks 1

Good luck building your 3D printed Skyhawk. I built my first 3D kit not too long ago, and found they present their own unique challenges. Here's a link to my WIP, perhaps it will give you some pointers to help you along the way.

- Bill

• Like 1

@billn53 thank you for linking your thread, I'll give it a read. This A-4 isn't as involved as your build, since the main airframe is already built. 

The only challenge may be choosing the type of glue required for this plane. I was told CA would be the recommended glue for it, what glue did you use?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

@billn53 thank you for linking your thread, I'll give it a read. This A-4 isn't as involved as your build, since the main airframe is already built. 

The only challenge may be choosing the type of glue required for this plane. I was told CA would be the recommended glue for it, what glue did you use?

I used CA for the most part.  And a bit of 5-minute epoxy in a couple of places. 
I recommend you inspect the surfaces of your kit carefully. 3D kits often have fine striations, which will show up after painting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billn53 said:

fine striations

Yep, my model has them. I tried smoothing them out with nail polisher, but it just didn't work. I'll try to sand the surface smooth with sandpaper on my next 3D model, I sense a 1:48 Pulqui 2 incoming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

my next 3D model, I sense a 1:48 Pulqui 2 incoming.

Oh, fantastic! I guess this will be the first model of that little jet I'll ever see. Wasn't Kurt Tank the chief designer? Hopefully you will do a WIP😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gidge said:

I'm keen to see how this goes

Stay tuned then, I'll post more photos later today.

4 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Oh, fantastic! I guess this will be the first model of that little jet I'll ever see. Wasn't Kurt Tank the chief designer? Hopefully you will do a WIP😉

Cheers,

Antti

Yes, Tank was the chief designer. The Pulqui 2 was a direct follow up to the Ta 183. I can't wait to put those two together. 

• Like 1

Well, here are some photos of the aircraft in the painting stage. Since there isn't a cockpit, I was able to jump straight into painting. All of it was done by hand with a medium sized brush.

xsKisyU.jpg

6rM6KVd.jpg

5sJCqe8.jpg

ISZZgy3.jpg

eeXmVum.jpg

The model has been already gloss varnished, and I'll apply the decals later today.

• Like 1

I've been hard at work on the Skyhawk.

Decals have been applied, they're a bit thick and as such, the insignia on the nose didn't want to conform to the curves of the nose. I applied some Microsol to them.

lsO0NqC.jpg

XYCvJeR.jpg

TdQ2dKP.jpg

Decided to paint some matt blue on the canopy to imitate the glass. Could have chosen another colour though.

lL3KYEY.jpg

yDKpZfc.jpg

Fuel tanks:

lNMTMGo.jpg

Painted the entrance of the intakes red:

9LExnsC.jpg

prFxLNN.jpg

Decals. They were from Calcas del Sur. You can get in touch with them through Facebook. The numbers were all separate.

i9SgrIQ.jpg

o2gNeJz.jpg

HGPXjTP.jpg

I'll now wait some hours before applying the matt coat and gluing the fuel tanks. It's been a pretty enjoyable building experience so far.

• Like 1