Revell 1/144 AV-8B Harrier II+

srkirad

Second kit I will try to build in this GB is another Revell cute tiny piece of plastic - legendary Harrier in II+ version.

I will work US example, as it has a bit more complex and interesting cammo than Spanish one...

av-8b-144-001.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi S,

this kit is extremely well engineered.

Years ago I got the older AV-8B Revell kit in 1/144, and it was a far cry from the tooling you are working with.

Far less details obviously and a lot of errors as far as shape was concerned. Bottom line that kit landed unfinished in my spares' box! Not an enjoyable foray in the 1/144 and one I do not feel like trying again.

So enjoy your state of the art model!

Have fun.

JR

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

During last two weeks, I did the preshading and painting, so I waited till finished to present photo update...

I am not satisfied with upper ("darkest") patch of grey - I am painting with Gunze acrylics, but it seems that their Gunship Grey is a pretty lighter shade than it should be, so it almost blended into middle grey painted areas :(

I am not willing to mask whole kit again in order to spray some other shade of Grey, so I'll just leave it as it is - I just want to finish this one and put it into display shelf....

av-8b-144-006.jpg

av-8b-144-007.jpg

av-8b-144-008.jpg

av-8b-144-009.jpg

av-8b-144-010.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

Lovely work so far S. Perhaps having a lesser contrast between the two greys works well in such a small scale as it doesn't look too stark and these colours tend to fade and blend with age and sun effect ;)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decals finally came to their place - not so bad - decals on vertical stabilizer were a bit bigger than kit part, so sign "Ace of Spades" went over the leading edge a bit - it couldn't be positioned backward because of that little number 01 on the rear top of tail ....

av-8b-144-011.jpg

Somehow I've managed to paint lightened Gunze Dark Ghost Grey (per instructions) at the EXACTLY THE SAME shade of grey on USAF roundel on bottom part of the wing :D 

av-8b-144-012.jpg

You see what I mean... ehm.. or NOT see.... :D

av-8b-144-015.jpg

After decals and gloss coat I think that camouflage actually do not look so bad as I thought... not quite good, but not terrible either...

av-8b-144-013.jpg

Managed to match VMA-231 two-greys shaded decal to the cammo pattern...

av-8b-144-014.jpg

Next weekend I plan to do the wash, and hopefully not so long until the end of work on this one...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...