Azur Frrom 1/72 Ikarus IK-2

srkirad

Hello mates,

I'll try to work on two kits in this GB - regarding that I won't participate in any new GBs until end of year, I decided to try with two at once, as I couldn't decide which one to build.. so, as @Enzo Matrix would say - "build them both!" :D

First one is Ikarus IK-2 - one of domestic fighters that were on disposal to Royal Yugoslav Air Force at the very beginning of WW2 (so called April War), and the one with very (unnecessary) complicated landing gear assembly!

I will build one of NMF machines, not sure yet which one, but there is plenty of time to decide...

ik-2-001.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally found some time to dedicate to this GB - for few more days I will be busy with "Less than tenner" and "Bf 109" GBs and then fully dedicating to this one!

IK-2 was given some initial cockpit work - few peaces of styrene sheet were needed around joins - not surprising for a short run kit... 

Pilot seat has been upgraded with PE belts.

Primering of cockpit will be next step...

ik-2-002.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Cockpit is primered, painted, weathered, and next phase is assemblying of fuselage.

Instrument panel is combination of PE frontal part and instruments printed on transparent plastic sheet (background layer)

ik-2-003.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

It was a while since last update - I didn't want to take photos until at least fuselage is assembled...

ik-2-004.jpg

ik-2-005.jpg

Next step is attaching wings, and masking and fitting of canopy, so that should be next photo update - hopefully during this week...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Assembly of all main parts is finally finished - it took me almost whole one day for assemblying of landing gear which is so complicated, it looks like a giant thick spider web a bit :D

What I put on this photo, but has to be fixed a bit more with some sprue goo is spinner - seam beetween frontal and rear part of it is very strong on this photo, and I plan to blend it a bit with some sanding and rescribing after sprue goo cures...

ik-2-006.jpg

ik-2-007.jpg

ik-2-008.jpg

ik-2-009.jpg

ik-2-010.jpg

I've drilled exhaust pipes and those big air inlets in front of landing gear legs...

ik-2-011.jpg

Primer/painting is not so far away now!

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since last update, but I wasn't in hybernation :) I was testing procedure for applying NMF finish on this one, so, after some planning I'm at the beginning of it.

All remaining parts were glued and I've also done with rigging on wings because I wouldn't like to mess up that detail with superglue on shiny NMF final finish.

Pitot tube is made of hypodermic needle 0.4mm.

First stage is of course main primer - Mr. Surfacer 1200.

I'm leaving it for couple of days to cure fully, and then proceeding with next step - gloss black for polished metal parts on fuselage and wings...

ik-2-012.jpg

ik-2-013.jpg

ik-2-014.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

I'm doing a bit reverse order of painting and detailing on this one, so keep tuned :)

First step after preshading was to paint national flag on tail - I've painted that area first into white, then lower part into yellow and red over yellow (in order to give red a bit more vivid look), and in the end upper part of flag was painted into blue.

I'll leave it for few days to cure, and than rear part (primered with Surfacer - grey areas) will be given a coat of Gunze Aluminium metalizer...

ik-2-018.jpg

ik-2-019.jpg

ik-2-020.jpg

ik-2-021.jpg

ik-2-022.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

Fabric covered areas were painted with Gunze Aluminium (buffing) metalizer.

Tomorrow I'll give it an gloss coat to seal metalizer - Aluminium is even after buffing leaving traces on fingers if you touch it, so it must be sealed with gloss coat before applying decals.

ik-2-023.jpg

ik-2-024.jpg

ik-2-025.jpg

ik-2-026.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6

Rigging on tail was finished yesterday, and today I did the subtle black wash with artistic oils on rear area, and sealed it with final semigloss coat.

I'm leaving it until weekend to cure, and then second phase of masking/painting - metal covered areas (black primered)

ik-2-029.jpg

ik-2-030.jpg

ik-2-031.jpg

ik-2-032.jpg

ik-2-033.jpg

ik-2-034.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

Painting is done - metal covered areas were painted with Alclad Chrome. I'll leave it for couple of days to cure fully and then I'll cover Alclad areas with Alclad Aqua Gloss before I lay roundels on wings...

Hopefully it will be all finished before deadline!

ik-2-035.jpg

ik-2-036.jpg

ik-2-037.jpg

ik-2-038.jpg

ik-2-039.jpg

ik-2-040.jpg

ik-2-041.jpg

ik-2-042.jpg

ik-2-043.jpg

ik-2-044.jpg

ik-2-045.jpg

Cheers,