*done* In The Year I Was Born pt. 2: 1968 Cobra Jet super stock

vppelt68

Sitting here now my fingers crossed the missing parts should arrive, I thought It'd be good to start a build thread for my originally planned subject in this group build. We had an "in the year I was born" group build here two years ago, fabulously hosted by Rabbit Leader. I started, but didn't finish, a Roundtwo/ AMT 1968 Camaro. This will be my round two for the year I was born GB subject.

Since I first saw the '68 Mustang Cobra Jet boxing, I knew I'd have to build the Tasca Ford super stock version of it. There's just "that something" in the vintage factory backed racing programs.

Oh, it seems I have less time to write this now than I thought, so here are just some pics now and more to come later.

2021-07-09_11-23-45

Box pic recycled from previous posts

IMG_20210803_162756

Sprue pic #1

IMG_20210803_162809

Sprue pic #2

Sprue pic #3 to be added here, when I get them!

2021-08-03_05-51-44

The decal sheet, with lots of to-be-unnecessary striping!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-4215-68-mustang-gt-2n1--111671

Here's a link to the instructions and the kit's lineage. It does contain all the parts for the Bullitt movie car - except mine doesn't of course, yet... V-P

• Like 8

• vppelt68 changed the title to In The Year I Was Born pt. 2: 1968 Cobra Jet super stock

Looks like I need to learn me some new skills too. I fondled :inlove: the parts I already have, and though there'll be very few chrome parts needed in this build, at least the front bumper should be first de-chromed, then modified and improved, and again re-chromed :hmmm:. How can that (the last one) be done properly without an airbrush? The kit comes with Mustang GT front bumper, that needs a few sections and the license plate holder removed. The kit chrome isn't too good either... The rear bumper could do as it is, except the license plate of course. What's left in chrome are the shifter, valve covers, front wheels and the grille - unless I use some modeller's license and use the Bullit version. The chromed kit version, again, is for the GT and has the fog lights, or what ever, that the Plain-Jane-except-the-drivetrain Cobra Jet didn't have. I'm getting excited :bounce:

Molotow ink is your friend for new chrome. I've used a 2mm pen to rechrome thin bumpers. Keep a wet edge and move quickly and it works well. An airbrush would probably get the ultimate result, but my efforts are at least as good as the kit chrome it replaced.

• Thanks 1

I've used Molotow chrome on bare plastic, primed parts and painted parts.  Not much difference in my experience.

Re the '68 kit, I have the original diecast Bullitt version this is based on, and the front end is a bit off. 😶  The character line on the front fenders should continue to angle up towards the front, but it flattens out and finishes too low.  Consequently the front wheel openings are also too low, by about 1mm.   The AMT '67 is better and would be a good reference for correcting it, if you're inclined to do so.  That said, it's not horrible and most people probably wouldn't notice...

• Thanks 1

As above, the ink will cover just about anything without problems.

I also use the refill bottle. Not only is that one good for airbrushing and refilling the pens, it also gives you the option to brush the ink on.

For tiny amounts, hood pins and so on, dabbing the 2mm pen on a bit of glass gives a usable pool of ink that can then be brushed. It dries fast though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Looks like I need to learn me some new skills too. I fondled :inlove: the parts I already have, and though there'll be very few chrome parts needed in this build, at least the front bumper should be first de-chromed, then modified and improved, and again re-chromed :hmmm:.

The easy option would be to trim off the bumper guards and licence plate frame, then touch in with Molotow.  All the cuts are on the underside, so it wouldn't be that noticeable?

Edit - bumper guards are in place here, so it depends on exactly which photo(s) you're using for reference.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dd/b9/b5/ddb9b518a6a1e8e0c9b0fc0efb352c5c.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Six97s said:

The easy option would be to trim off the bumper guards and licence plate frame, then touch in with Molotow.  All the cuts are on the underside, so it wouldn't be that noticeable?

I took another look at the reference pics and it seems I don't need to remove the bumper guards at all. The rear upper edge of the front bumper just looks a bit wrinkled, but I can always try to just touch it up and if I don't like it, take the longer route.

• Like 1

Waiting for the missing parts to arrive, I've got the powertrain ready to be dropped in.

2021-08-10_06-29-50

Not as nice as the miniature masterpieces posted here before. I'm actually thinking if I should glue the hood solid anyway. V-P

• Like 7

I agree, engine look's good, leave the hood openable. Look's close enough to Ford Engine Block Blue to me!

Love your subject, one of the last of the factory-backed super stock drag cars somewhat based on a car that you could buy from a dealer in 1968....the good old days.

......"I'm an all-set Cobra-Jet creepin' thru the nighttime"..... (OK Mustang GBer's, who can name that artist and song???)

7 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

I agree, engine look's good, leave the hood openable. Look's close enough to Ford Engine Block Blue to me!

Love your subject, one of the last of the factory-backed super stock drag cars somewhat based on a car that you could buy from a dealer in 1968....the good old days.

......"I'm an all-set Cobra-Jet creepin' thru the nighttime"..... (OK Mustang GBer's, who can name that artist and song???)

Bruce Springsteen - Living On The Edge Of The World (which I'll admit I only know thanks to Google)

James

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

The Boss. Mr Springsteen himself. Ride all night is the track.

How about this one?

She's a hot steppin' Hemi with a four on the floor.

She's a Road Runner engine in a '32 Ford.

That boy could pen a lyric! Best we don't mention fulie heads on a big block though.

I'll have the Born to Run LP in my head all day now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Old ladies seldom power shift, but in the Anaheim, Asuza and Cucamonga sewing circle, book review and timing association there´s a little old lady from Pasadena (with a brand new, shiny red super stock Dodge - with a four speed stick and a 426) :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

With all the parts finally in my possession, I decided I wanted to do an "attitude test", and loosely assembled some major components together to see how the CJ stands?

2021-08-14_11-49-46

Definitely a BAD additute which looks so GOOD!

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Resurrection!

IMG_20211003_205225

Interior needs instrument dial decals added, and then steering column and wheel. The dash is not yet cemented.

IMG_20211003_205304

The chassis is done. A few months ago I planned to scratch build and add ladder type traction bars - this car had 32" bars - but now, with a week to go in the GB, I can live without them :whistle:

IMG_20211003_210240

The stance is still there, and next step will be taking the Mustang to the paint and body shop.

V-P

• Like 8