How long does the 'hairspray' technique last?

LooseSeal

So I've done 'hairspray' chipping (using Ammo products) lots before, but always applying it then painting and immediately chipping all very quickly.

However, I'm building the HK Lancaster and was going to layer it all in dull aluminium first (much like in this excellent build - https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/1-48-avro-lancaster-b-mk-i-hk-models-budowa-cz-2/) and proceed to chip back to it after all the painting/post-shading is done. But I'm wondering... will that layer of chipping fluid still actually be there and active after all the pre-shading, base coating and post-shading is done, potentially a week or more later? Particularly if I'm using, for example, Blu tack to demarcate the camo lines... would that lift up the chipping fluid?

Curious if anyone knows about this or has experience doing it... I could always just chip with a brush after painting, but I do like using chipping fluid!

Thanks!

If I was doing a big job like that I would plan to do a section at a time and use your normal technique to chip as soon as possible. From experience, you can reactivate but it's a lot more work. 

Interestingly, just recently here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TlEKKMl3I Jen talks about her process on a Tornado. Discussion on her technique starts at 6:00 mins and meanders a little bit. Real info at 7:50.  You may find it useful. 

Ray

Thanks for the link Ray. It was much as I expected... I think I'll end up painting the chips on myself. I believe I tried to paint a model in sections once before, and the sections all ended up looking subtly different from each other due to me being unable to replicate my technique from one day to the next 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the confirmation of my fears though 😉 I'll get on with starting the final painting!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LooseSeal said:

Thanks for the confirmation of my fears though 😉 I'll get on with starting the final painting!

Good luck with it all. These days I avoid the big 1/48 although the HK will be a must.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

@LooseSeal I have to stick to general terms here because you haven't mentioned your paint type, but you can certainly chip after a week. If you, personally, find that you can chip through a cured layer of your chosen paint, then I can say from my own testing that a day or a week will not matter much as long as you have a tested and defined process.

What matters more is thicknesses. Too much paint and it may never chip at any time -- then you need to let it cure and wear through it with sanding materials designed for paint, such as Micro Mesh, etc. I use this method and it can create very realistic effects, especially with multiple layers of colour. Depending on how hard your paint will be, you may need to adjust the thickness of hairspray as well -- my preferred paint actually needs a thin layer so that it doesn't over activate once the water gets through. This compensates for the amount of scrubbing which the paint requires. But YMMV, as the Americans say.

I think that you also need to consider carefully whether you are not doing any unnecessary steps, such as pre- and -post-shading before chipping. If any post-shading is to be done, it would usually happen after chipping. For example, if I use hairspray on an AFV, I will inter-shade for the top colour before hairspray, then post shade with OPR. I often create multi-layer chipping as well, which not only refines the look, but makes the removal easier. These techniques transfer better to aircraft than many modellers realise.

Edited by Ade H
Typo
  • Like 1