USS Langley AV-3 :: Trumpeter 1/350

When you get the set I’ll give you some advice on how to use it. CA won’t be needed as long as you can plan ahead and fold the nexts exactly right. It will be strong enough to just sit on top of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RGL said:

When you get the set I’ll give you some advice on how to use it. CA won’t be needed as long as you can plan ahead and fold the nexts exactly right. It will be strong enough to just sit on top of it. 

:thanks:

Whilst waiting for the Eduard PE set to arrive, eta Wednesday, I've been pottering about and have sprayed the frame work and will attach it to the hull. These photos are 'pre' gluing.

And I had a play at making one of the seaplanes that come with the kit, not sure I'm actually going to use them yet, I'll worry about that when the ship is finished.

Jon

p?i=4138b42fa87cf30bdec5ff032434a7ce

p?i=e29f131e5573c2af16322c006cb7dde1

p?i=b09abc33cbeabeaae103e0e4535380b6

p?i=7d5bdb949346d832ccbd09399ac9d7b2

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Mcdood said:

Looking good Jon, do you prime the photo etch before painting or not? 
Martin. 

I probably should, but no. I tend to spray several light coats of acrylic and slowly build up the density. When I did prime PE once, I found the primer was too thick and a lot of detail disappeared.

Jon

6 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Looking very impressive and FWIW I always prime etch, though with Mig One-shot

Rob

Interesting, I’ll look into this. Do you spray or brush ?

Jon

• Like 1

well this is building up really well watch you do not catch cold with all that frame work one sneeze and it could be disaster.  🤧

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

well this is building up really well watch you do not catch cold with all that frame work one sneeze and it could be disaster.  🤧

Stay Safe

beefy

Surprisingly, it is quite strong. But your warning is well founded, as I tend to be a clumsy bugger. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Thibk this one is shaping up to be your best so far, 

Hmm 🤔 not sure about that. I will say though, it is the most complex  build so far. I feel I’ve learnt stuff too. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2021 at 11:31, RGL said:

The net set is here, so the last steps in the build can commence. @RGL any advise you can give will be MOST welcome. The parts certainly look a lot better than the Trumpy set.

Jon

p?i=6323a094ce70ddea9edeb0b5ec66ab75

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Looks awesome Jon! 

Fabulous job..

Guy

Cheers Guy. It’s coming on, this Eduard PE is ssssoooo much better than the Trumpy set I bought. Bit of false economy there, live and learn.

Jon

• Like 1

The instructions are poor. The brackets on the top right hand side of the fret are the ones to use, not the square ones. They bend down the little slot faces outboard. This is important. There is just enough of these for the length of the deck. 

the little double bars fold over to a single strong bar. IMPORTANTLY when you cut them off the fret leave as much of the fret piece on the small end and the fat end should be flush. 

this extra bit of fret will go into the slot of the brackets and it’s quite strong. 

fold the nets exactly on the bend line to about 70 degrees as it needs to sit vertically (small section) and then along the support arm which faces up just past 90 degrees. 

finally I used a aftermarket strip of rivets along and over the top of the net on the flight deck side like the real thing. spacer.png

• Like 10

There are little notches on the underside edges of the flight deck. If you look at the brackets here you can see how the arms sit out.  The instructions are contradictory dont you think? I found that this works well and they are not under any stress spacer.png

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, RGL said:

The instructions are contradictory dont you think?

I often find the instructions are, how can I put this ? Not as accurate as they could be ?  when English is not the native language of the supplier. But with a bit of study and asking lots of questions, I usually get there in the end.

I shall be applying your wisdom today. The more models I build , the more convinced I am, that those who write the instructions, don’t actually build the kits.

Thanks for your help here, I very much doubt my attempt will be as good as yours, but I’ll try.

Jon

• Like 1

And so it begins, the attachment of the nets. VERY many thanks to @RGLfor his invaluable advice. And for reminding me TO PLAN. Leaving a bit of fret on the end of these little struts, makes it SO much easier.

Jon

p?i=7bce73dbb50d589ea98dd9e0acb7f336

p?i=233103523366094fc3f6a33f367ee297

• Like 10

And finally the nets are attached, just need coat of paint. And at last the masking tape can come off, slowly but surely, this build is drawing to a close.

Far better than the Trumpeter offering.

Jon

p?i=538db9355aab71649494ac4e4973444a

p?i=2d28e4e7a6b2199ae0e4ef8cfaa5be0c

Longest piece of PE I've ever had to bend.

I had to dust off my large PE bender, when I remembered where I'd stowed it.

p?i=0f0658a80e0018124060035d6dc8107b

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 3