whirlwind (helicopter) Questions

Bruce Archer

Hi All!

I have had good luck here so I'll try again...

In my stash I found a Westland Whirlwind HAS.22. I would Like to do a plane guard Whirlwind in  RAF Blue-Grey. Can I do one or will I need to do some mods tot he kit? Drawings and Images would help.

Thanx!

Bruce

16 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

Hi All!

I have had good luck here so I'll try again...

In my stash I found a Westland Whirlwind HAS.22. I would Like to do a plane guard Whirlwind in  RAF Blue-Grey. Can I do one or will I need to do some mods tot he kit? Drawings and Images would help.

Thanx!

Bruce

My fat  fingers appear to have gotten in the way again, but

The kit I found in the stash is an Airfix 1/72nd scale Whirlwind HAS.22

Bruce

The Airfix is representing a Sikorski-built HO4S-3, which is what the HAS.22 basically was. The plane guards were, AFAIK, HAR.10's with different engines and nose contours. 

(This thread might be more at home in the Cold War section, by the way - I have asked the mods to move it.)

HTH!,

Andre

The HAS 22 was used as a plane guard by RN, and a straight 'out of the box' will suffice. They were initially in a gloss dark blue, and for plane guard work were successively painted yellow over sky, and EDSG over sky. These were Whirlwind Mk 1 and 2 only. Subsequent marks had the drooped tail boom, and eventually turbine power.

Your other options are Admiral's Barge white over green, Antarctic Flight, black over orange, or RAF SAR golden yellow.

There may be other options.

For RAF blue grey scheme, with or without dayglo, you are looking at Mk 7 onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bruce Archer said:

Hi!

Was the dark blue mentioned Oxford Blue?

Bruce

As far as I can remember Oxford Blue was only used on Lynx of the Royal Navy and eventually gave way to the greys of various parentages that modern helicopters seem embarrassed to find themselves in.

(You may speculate that I prefer living in the past, I couldn't possibly comment!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2