spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Video of the build: 

This was one of those kits that you wonder if the kit is very hard, or if the kit is just that bad. Either way, you end up wondering if you are not good enough for it, and makes you want to go back to a Tamiya/Eduard kit to prove yourself that you are not that bad.

I appreciate Mikro-Mir's efforts in making a very detailed kit, but if they assembled it, they would understand the need to fix the moulds and release a new version.

Lot of corrections, sanding, putting, fittings, etc in almost all steps. In this video above I list all the things you should be aware before giving a try on this one (I wish such video existed before).

Anyway, at least the kit made me much better at rescribing and puttying. I also played with magnets, stress metal effect, some scratch build... the most enjoyment I got was from seeing this beautiful shape coming along, while putting out the decals.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. All criticism is welcome. I know it is far from perfect, and I just want to improve for the next one.

• Like 59
  • Thanks 3

Bravo! Truly magnificent! :clap2:

I am stalled in my build of this model. And you did all the assemblies that I'm thinking of ditching, like the landing great and engines. Of course, I rationalize such decisions in deference to the beauty of the aircraft in flight...

You're a better modeler than I! :worthy:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. 

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo! Truly magnificent! :clap2:

I am stalled in my build of this model. And you did all the assemblies that I'm thinking of ditching, like the landing great and engines. Of course, I rationalize such decisions in deference to the beauty of the aircraft in flight...

You're a better modeler than I! :worthy:

No, I am not a better modeler than you, just maybe a little more stubborn and unwilling to accept defeat from plastic.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Never a Pro said:

the most enjoyment I got was from seeing this beautiful shape coming along

It truly is a beautiful aircraft and you have done it full justice with your build. Very well done Sir.

Pete

I have no criticisms at all to make. You have made an incredibly beautiful model from what seems to be a very difficult kit. It is simply stunning, congratulations!

Richie

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

A superb build 'Never a Pro', I think you're now 'Pro with Wings'!

I've always loved DH.88 'Black Magic', the same colours as the F1 Lotus JPS livery from when I was a lad, were inspiring!

I found this build when searching for 1/48 kits of the DH.88, having just completed AMP's 1/48 Supermarine S.6B. "Never a Pro's" build inspired me to get Mikro Mir's kit only to find that in the latest boxing the only decals provided are for G-ACSS 'Grosvenor House' - gutted.

The 'Black Magic' option on the box side is taped over and the instructions changed, though the kit is still ref 48-017. Caveat emptor! The kind folks at Hannants have contacted MM for me only to be told that "renewal of the gold decals is impossible until the end of the war". (Decograph are also Ukraine-based.)

If anyone has any unwanted decals for 'Black Magic' from the MM original boxing, please let me know; I'd be very happy to have them.

Please drop me a PM with your email in it and I'll get back to you asap. Many thanks!

Slava Ukraini!

Nick

Edited by NG899