Resin casting

darthspud

Not wishing to go the expense of buying a 3d printer

what is a cheap alternative to produce replacement parts like wheels and simple items like axles/railings etc

thanks

Well, I never mentioned this, obviously.... Some people have big issues with this idea, due to copyright theft and the like. If you are the only person who will ever benefit from it, I don't see any great harm being done. 

The cheapest way to create spare parts is to cast your own in resin. You'll need the rubber moulding material and the various resin-mixing components, obvs. I have read it's a pretty steep learning-curve, but once you got the hang of it, it becomes second-nature. 

I would have thought that the whole set-up would cost you between £30 and £50 (educated guess).

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

With the price of the latest mass-market SLA 3D printers, the cost of resin and room-temperature vulcanising rubber (RTV), plus the ancillaries isn't looking that cheap anymore.  If you were to go to the expense of buying a pressure pot too, there's nothing in it really.  The biggest ongoing costs with resin casting for yourself is the RTV, which isn't cheap and doesn't go far.  With an SLA printer you have a comparable cost for around a litre, and BOTH are messy as well as time and space consuming.  If I were doing enough modelling to warrant creating my own parts these days, I'd be more interested in a printer.  Printing isn't perfect, but then neither is resin.  If you don't have a pressure pot, or don't create the pour block to leach away bubbles, you'll have any number of bubbles trapped in your casting.  If you're lucky, they'll be in the middle, but sometimes they get trapped on the surface and ruin the piece :shrug:

• Like 1

Purely for my own use. Not looking to gain/profit.

Just wannabe make a large volume of a single item/build. 

I'm going to make the master items for some bits and pieces, justneed to pick someone's brain for initial start of ops.

1. you don't need a pressure pot. I don't have one. 

2.  using a resin with a long pot life and patience you can eliminate most air bubbles

3. I get my RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanising) rubber and casting resin from -  https://www.mbfg.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAiAj-_xBRBjEiwAmRbqYgURM1JU7FAI-

5YsuD_bPc7PGun8zRdU8H28aXuL20Js5Zlj_2Mi_RoCmVQQAvD_BwE

4. depending on what you want to cast RTV may not be the only mould making substance. I've made moulds out of FIMO / Sculpey

5. its only worth doing if you are going to make lots of copies. If I need just one or two copies and they are commercially available I'll buy them

I make board games. I cast my own game pieces. For one game I need 36 pieces which look nearly the same. I have moulds so I can cast 6 at a time. I have other moulds for model parts, When I do a casting session for game pieces the left over dribbles of resin goes into these moulds, thus I have a load of 1/72 WW1 type seats, various ejection seats, certain engines etc

If you want more specific info ask me, I'm happy to share it with you

• Like 1