2cm Salvenmaschinenkanone SMK 18 Typ 2 (Das Werk)

26 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

the cables look amazing - must have been a lot of work winding them though! I use guitar strings to "cheat" this sort of thing, but it wouldn't look any better than what you've done.

Thanks!

The guitar string is too stiff for me.

Winding is not a problem at all. I first wind about 10 turns, then use the fingers of one hand to take the already wrapped part and roll between the fingers. I hold the fingers of the other hand slightly compressing both wires perpendicular to each other. Slightly compressed fingers become like a thread and the winding wire slips between the fingers and winds on a core wire tightly. It's very easy.

Vytautas

• Like 1

A little more progress today.

I finished the aiming computer from scratch and connected the 2 cables to him:

spacer.png

The rear view of sight computer

spacer.png

Computer panel

spacer.png

I made a box for connecting the cables. Such a decision seemed to me to be logical and easy to produce. View from inside.

The cable business is not over yet, there will be more. :)

Vytautas

• Like 12

I'm loving your work Vytautas. So intricate, so skillful and so neat.

You mentioned in a previous post that you were concerned about spending too much time on the small details, but please don't change, it is the small details that make such a big difference. Truly you are a master of your craft sir.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, echen said:

Fabulous detail as always! 👏:goodjob:

Many thanks, I really appreciate it. Thanks for looking in!

10 hours ago, Lummox said:

You mentioned in a previous post that you were concerned about spending too much time on the small details, but please don't change, it is the small details that make such a big difference.

Thanks for your kind words!

Even if I want to, I can’t change it anymore, it’s like a progressive disease. I, of course, am not a doctor, but I suspect that you have a similar problem... I even think that my case is easier than yours... :)

Vytautas

P.S. In my opinion, a model is good when you look at it, you discover more and more new details, and when you look at them, you find something else and something else and those details turn into a story. These can be not only small details but also any special painting techniques, defects, or anything else. When making a model, I come up with its story and try to tell it through various details. For this cannon, I also came up with the story, and I am trying to portray it.

• Like 1

Hi vytautas,
I look at your build long and your amazing attention t detail and I think to myself:
I wan't one of these Salventhings :)
And then I wake up and say to myself:
I can not do that 🤪

But inspiring work it is, please keep them coming!

And TGIF, stay safe, sane and comfortably sober all ;)

Zack

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for such kind comments!

20 hours ago, StuartH said:

so many small details...they really do make a difference.

Oh yes! I really like the small details. Life also consists of them...

5 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

He's got these tiny little people shrunk down and enslaved to build all this stuff for him... While he sits back drinking beer 😈

Absolute lies and slander!

- I don’t drink beer, I drink wine! :rofl:

5 hours ago, Zack said:

And then I wake up and say to myself:
I can not do that 🤪

I also can't do it the way I want. But I haven't paying attention to it for a long time, I just do it the way it turns out.

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nanond said:

Such a large amount of good work being done here to this little flak. Impressive work as usual for you. I haven't done much model work in the last few months. I should pick up the progress in this winter time.

Nanond

Thanks, Nanond, really appreciate that. I really look forward to seeing your Marder I.

Vytautas

Modelling and comedy rolled into one!

Nice steady work, brilliant!

On 13/09/2021 at 11:06, Bullbasket said:

Ejector pin marks are what correction fluid was invented for.

Far to energetic.

Leave it be, paint, dry brush the edges and call it detail.....

Really must try getting into the spirit of this modelling lark! :whistle:

Darryl 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Modelling and comedy rolled into one!

Nice steady work, brilliant!

Far to energetic.

Really must try getting into the spirit of this modelling lark! :whistle:

Darryl 

If it were a trumpeter kit however, it'd look like a whole class of primary school kids on a museum visit had gone round gluing cardboard discs to every inch of the thing.... 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:
On 9/13/2021 at 1:06 PM, Bullbasket said:

Ejector pin marks are what correction fluid was invented for.

Far to energetic.

I have to admit that the idea is right. The more pin marks, the more detailed the model looks.
As we have seen, the pin marks problem exists and cannot be ignored.
It should be noted that in the models they have decreased catastrophically.
This phenomenon can be explained by the simplest economy: producers try to make production as cheap as possible and profits as high as possible. It is clear that manufacturers have tricked modelers and made production cheaper by reducing the number of pin marks. This cannot be ignored, because if it continues, the pin marks will not remain at all in the models.
Therefore, I propose to require manufacturers to have at least 2 pin marks per square centimeter of the model. Such a requirement is, in my view, reasonable and fair.

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

If it were a trumpeter kit however, it'd look like a whole class of primary school kids on a museum visit had gone round gluing cardboard discs to every inch of the thing.... 

Unfortunately, this is not yet the case. This is just a goal for now. But if we strongly demand that manufacturers return us pin marks, I hope that will become a reality...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am still alive! :) I just didn't have time to model.

But I managed to make the seats. I changed them a little - I cut off the soft part from the backs. Made from scratch the footrests and the firing pedal with the mechanism. The set includes photo-etched parts for the footrests, but they have nothing to do with reality, so I didn’t use them. The cable I made from copper wire - core 0.3 mm, outside 0.1 mm.
Real seats look a little different, especially the folding mechanism, but I'm tired of reworking everything - I'll leave it as it is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, vytautas said:

I am still alive! :) I just didn't have time to model.

But I managed to make the seats. I changed them a little - I cut off the soft part from the backs. Made from scratch the footrests and the firing pedal with the mechanism. The set includes photo-etched parts for the footrests, but they have nothing to do with reality, so I didn’t use them. The cable I made from copper wire - core 0.3 mm, outside 0.1 mm.
Real seats look a little different, especially the folding mechanism, but I'm tired of reworking everything - I'll leave it as it is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vytautas

I agree with Ed-top work!!

MD

• Like 1