2cm Salvenmaschinenkanone SMK 18 Typ 2 (Das Werk)

Some updates:
I finished the barrels - I sanded the flash dampers from inside to their actual thickness and drilled holes in them (holes diameter 0,2mm).

Each damper has 36 holes, and we have 8 barrels - believe me, this is a lot of work to fix it.

spacer.png

Vytautas

• Like 9

Barrels look terrific. They go well with all the rest of your work on the detail for this build. 👍

How did you sand the inside of the flash dampers?

Edited by echen
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Each damper has 36 holes, and we have 8 barrels - believe me, this is a lot of work to fix it.

Ah, but it was worth it in the end. The barrels look as good as any brass AM ones.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:20 AM, Pig of the Week said:

Very true, though when we were kids we had access to shotgun ammo from the old man to make various 'bombs' etc.. can't get them now unfortunately

We used to use weedkiller crystals and sugar in thick paper tubes, glass medicine bottles or tin cans. Probably get arrested and locked up now but we certainly had some very noisy fun.

That is until my mate lost most of the skin off his right hand in an accident while preparing a mix.

Edited by echen
safety update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, echen said:

Barrels look terrific. They go well with all the rest of your work on the detail for this build. 👍

How did you sand the inside of the flash dampers?

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Ah, but it was worth it in the end. The barrels look as good as any brass AM ones.

John.

Thanks to both for the kind words!

At first, I planned to buy a small cone burr for metal, but I was too lazy to go to the store, so I shave out the inside by twisting a small sharp knife and then finishing with sandpaper.

Vytautas

• Like 1

Loving your work here Vytautas, the skills and attention to detail is first class!

Didn't we all mess around with "silly stuff" in our youth. Remember my best friend at school, now a retired copper, taking his shotgun in to school to give a talk on it!

Try doing that now and see what happens, flippin nanny state.....:yikes:

All that earlier talk of beer is making me thirsty....

• Thanks 1

@Pig of the Week@edjbartos, @Jasper dog, @diablo rsv, thank you all for the kind words, I am appreciated.

I am beginning to suspect that I am stuck on too many small details, it all takes a lot of time, but I can’t stop any longer!  It’s like an addiction to alcohol or even worse - be careful, modeling is not an innocent occupation! :rofl:

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Haha 3

Thank you all for your interest in my work! A small step forward:

I reworked the top of the cannon breech box - I sanded the side details of the window (I don't know the English term to describe such a hole exactly, in Wookiee's language would be hrbrrrrrr :nod:) to 0.3mm - it was almost a millimeter, I did the other details from scratch because it had nothing to do with the original. Spring on the axle is made of 0.1 mm wire. 
One detail isn’t there yet, it has to be inside the window, but I don’t know yet what to make it from.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Vytautas

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'd love to know what a hrbrrrrrr actually is in English !! :)

I see that I will have to explain in more detail:
So, I sincerely admit that English is too difficult for me, so I would like to clarify the situation. My school was focused on chemistry and the Wookiee language. I was not a good student, but some knowledge of the language remained ... So, first I translate from Lithuanian into Wookiee, and then from Wookiee into English with Google translate. Therefore, I am not surprised that some translation inaccuracies occur. This is especially true for verb tenses - compared to Wookiee, the English language is very primitive (don't be offended, this is just a scientific fact), so it is sometimes very difficult to understand which English verb tenses I must use. With other grammatical things, the situation is not very good either too. I'm sorry about that...

:rofl:

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, vytautas said:

I see that I will have to explain in more detail:
So, I sincerely admit that English is too difficult for me, so I would like to clarify the situation. My school was focused on chemistry and the Wookiee language. I was not a good student, but some knowledge of the language remained ... So, first I translate from Lithuanian into Wookiee, and then from Wookiee into English with Google translate. Therefore, I am not surprised that some translation inaccuracies occur. This is especially true for verb tenses - compared to Wookiee, the English language is very primitive (don't be offended, this is just a scientific fact), so it is sometimes very difficult to understand which English verb tenses I must use. With other grammatical things, the situation is not very good either too. I'm sorry about that...

Vytautas

I have to say with all your stuff I've read in the past I just assumed you speak English !

Whatever way you do it it works and expresses what you're saying very well.

I reckon English being primitive is a good thing, I'd have no chance otherwise!..and it's the only language I speak I'm sorry to say :)

• Like 1

Thank you, mates, but you are very serious. I just have a weakness - I can be serious for a short time.

And my Wookiee language skills are not very good (although I speak better than Chewbacca - my accent is more pleasant).

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
I wrong wrote the word "Wookiee" - wrote it with one "e". I am ashamed...
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, vytautas said:

(I don't know the English term to describe such a hole exactly,

When in doubt, just describe it as an opening. But whatever, nice work with the opening.

John.

• Thanks 1

How naive I was!

I planned to make this model In a week! It might have success, but unfortunately, I found Nuts & Bolts vol.3, and it turned out that the model was missing a lot of details.
And now the build of the model will continue for a hundred years...
So, for the first year of building, I made the trigger from scratch.

spacer.png

Trigger in place:

spacer.png

Vytautas

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

You will have a very long white beard by the time it's done then ! :)

As for the beard:

first - I can safely say that the ability to read does not lead to good, and second, in this situation, the scariest is by no means a beard!

But I can offer a solution to the problem - to prohibit reading by law and burn or tear magazines and books that mention Salwenmaschinenkanone SMK-18 (depending on the situation, I recommend choosing a faster and cheaper method). Start necessary from Nuts & Bolts vol. 3.

It won't help me anymore, but future generations will be saved from this calamity.

Vytautas

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

It's others who will be scared of you and your huge beard... 😱

Not necessary. The rest can also go to the dark side, as Darth Vader said, there is enough room for everyone :rofl:

Vytautas

• Haha 1