Hobgoblins from Dominion

Hi all,

I've been a bit distracted lately and not had a whole lot of modelling time, but I still build figures in front of the TV when I want to switch my brain off. Sometimes I even paint them!

These are Hobgrots/Hobgoblins from the new Age of Sigmar box - nice simple two- or three-part models in traditional slottabases. The sculpts have a great balance between detail and paintability - there are loads of details but they well-defined and the brush seems to find them pretty easily.

51352646297_82393c29a1_b.jpg

I painted one to try them out and then applied the same recipe to another four. They're a bit different to the approach I've been using for the last couple of years as I primed them with a dark blue-green and then did some vigorous drybrushing as a base for the skin. Then lots of washes and glazes on top of that to smooth things out and get the colours right.

51308032458_0a3c33e3a8_b.jpg

The bases are my take on a sulphur swamp.

51308032298_d2c32657e0_b.jpg

I was very happy after painting the first one (above) but when I finished the other four the other night I thought maybe the armour is too consistent looking, and the metals are rather flat in the photo. I'll try and sponge some of the highlights and rust rather than brush/stipple them for the next five and see how that goes.

Once they're done there are some interesting characters and monsters and things to get on with - there's a lot of stuff in that box :)

Cheers,

Will   

• Like 10

These are just gorgeous! Great painting, especially the faces.

9 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I thought maybe the armour is too consistent looking

I think this depends on what you intend your minis to be. If your are building an army to play a game the consistency might be desirable. If you’re painting showpiece group then you might want some variation. Anyway these are great as they are.

Cheers,

Mjoo

• Like 1

They look lovely Will. The dry brush looks like it's added some very nice micro-texture to the skin. Nice bit of verdigris on the weapons too.

The vibrant bases look fantastic. Is there a colour transition under the gloss coat, or is the effect coming from reflections?

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, Mjoo said:

I think this depends on what you intend your minis to be.

That's true, and I am painting a unit, but it's a rabble unit rather than crack troops so some variation is probably OK. I think I just got a bit carried away with the shiny edges and it's not very realistic.

Looking again, the first one (where I think the dark metal is left at the edges and I just picked out the corners) is better so I'll probably go with that for the other five. Then they should offer a bit of variety as well.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:27 PM, Andy Moore said:

The vibrant bases look fantastic. Is there a colour transition under the gloss coat, or is the effect coming from reflections?

There is a colour transition from shallow to deep, although not a ton of space to execute it in. I also brought the yellow up onto the feet as I assume it would get everywhere!

Cheers for the kind comments folks. I have spent the last couple of evenings batch painting elf bits and have all the swords, shields, faces and bases done, with six spearmen almost ready.

Will

• Like 1