British infantry man- highland div- first 1/35 fig

Hi all. My first 1/35 figure, looking for a bit of a critique, hints tips and comments, very keen to improve: Should it be darker or lighter? If wondering why his bottom trouser legs are dark green and the rest of the trouser is English uniform then this is because he'll be in a diorama of the Reichwald where they had to wade through water burst from a dam and so the cloth has soaked up the water (hope it works) and therefore darkened. Found that I enjoy figures more than any other type of modelling as it really really hard! This took around 7 hours, constantly re-touching. Hard to know when to leave it alone. The face it very difficult and kept losing the mid tones. Now its up loaded in bigger pics I can already see the red hair will need a little attention, as it one flat colour. 

P1020368 P1020367 P1020366 P1020365

PS the belt will have a PE brass buckle added after I do the rifle. 

Thanks for viewing.

• Like 7

For a first go at a 35th figure, well done. Not bad at all.

It's very hard to tell from the photo but I think it should have more highlights. To me it seems all shadow and while the real wet soldier would have been almost black, in scale, you've got to have more contrast or it just disappears.

It doesn't look like a  high quality moulding. That makes painting a load more difficult.

And as my Station Warrant Officer would have said to him, "I don't care if you are cold and wet. GET YOUR BLEEDIN' HAIR CUT!" It's touching his collar!

13 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

For a first go at a 35th figure, well done. Not bad at all.

It's very hard to tell from the photo but I think it should have more highlights. To me it seems all shadow and while the real wet soldier would have been almost black, in scale, you've got to have more contrast or it just disappears.

It doesn't look like a  high quality moulding. That makes painting a load more difficult.

And as my Station Warrant Officer would have said to him, "I don't care if you are cold and wet. GET YOUR BLEEDIN' HAIR CUT!" It's touching his collar!

Cheers fair points noted Bertie.

Not sure I have been doing this long enough, as I just started back after not building for 52 yrs.. Overall a good job. But the gaiters maybe should be a little dark and the boots have some mud if they are suppose to have in the flood areas.

cheers 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, junobeach said:

Not sure I have been doing this long enough, as I just started back after not building for 52 yrs.. Overall a good job. But the gaiters maybe should be a little dark and the boots have some mud if they are suppose to have in the flood areas.

cheers 

Thanks junobeach, your quite right they did need a little dark and boots do need mud. Good spot. I have darkened the putees as well now. The mud will be added as his feet get slightly sunk down into the soft mud of the Dio (will also help him not 'float about' before I add the resin as I've found before that glue I've used before has melted in the thermic reaction caused by the pouring resin and caused the item to become loose from the bottom).

I've given him a hair cut and tonal difference in the ginger. He has had an overally lightening/Increase in highlights so theres more tonality all-round. 

Cheers for viewing.