The Rage of Telamonian Ajax (1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vc trop)

"Swear to shoot down ten for Doug -- I will, too, if it takes me a lifetime."

-- Ioannis Agorastos "Johnny" Plagis, 20 March 1942

On 20 March 1942, Johnny Plagis's close friend and fellow Rhodesian, Pilot Officer "Douggie" Leggo, was shot down and killed by either the experte Hermann Neuhoff (who would himself be shot down by Canadian Hurricane pilot F/Sgt Garth Horricks DFM of 185 Squadron and taken captive on 10 May 1942), or Ernst Klager (taken prisoner on 3 July 1942 at El Alamein after being shot down on a frie jagd by a SAAF Kittyhawk Ia flown by Lt Sydney "Moose" Reinders). It appears that a 109 then either fired into Leggo as he dangled in his parachute, or deliberately or by accident (the attack took place at only 50 yards range) collapsed his parachute as it flew past him. Plagis fulfilled his vow with time to spare by 7 June 1942.

This is one of the Spitfires he flew, built from the new Airfix 1/72 kit. I made several errors. For starters, I transposed the serial number (BR321) in my head, converting it to BR312. Both Spitfires were delivered to Malta, but BR312 came earlier, during Operation STYLE; the latest research has it that these aircraft were painted Sky Blue underneath and Dark Mediterranean Blue above, and the model is so painted. In fact, BR321 was delivered during the slightly later Operation SALIENT, and was quite possibly Extra Dark Sea Grey up top. For now, we can't be certain, of course, but it bothers me and I was too far along to reasonably go back and respray by that point. For the same reason, feeling slightly deflated, I opted not to steal a rear-view mirror from another kit that I might actually paint correctly.

Painting was done with Colourcoats enamels, weathering was Abteilung oils, Alclad, AK oil washes, and AK pigments. The panel lines look substantially less pronounced in person, honest. 

PXL_20210803_051134008

PXL_20210803_051006970

PXL_20210803_051011428

PXL_20210803_051027941

PXL_20210803_051042586

• Like 52

Spitfires.

Takes a nice one to get me volunteering a comment Edward and this is a nice one, well done for the good interesting build thread too.

Say no more, wink wink.

Blind bat etc.

👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I just belatedly understood the Telamonian  Ajax reference, Plagis having also died by his own hand. Extra points to you for assisting my classical education.

I live to serve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great to see you back PC and apologies for missing everything during my recent absence - I hope you're all progressing as well as this model, a little beauty!

• Thanks 1