1/48 RNZAF F4-U 1944 / 45 ish

Not totally historically accurate but I think a fairly good Kiwi-esque model based on F4U-1A RNZAF Solomons 1945 F4-U 1/48 Tamiya. Sky Models Decals (I found he decal sheet short on a few details)

Well known and recommended kit.

Got to practice some new techniques.

Got some funny looks buying hairspray 😆

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wanted the multi tone paint, based on #307, had decals for #77

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by simonj
formatting
  • Like 16

20 hours ago, simonj said:

Not totally historically accurate but I think a fairly good Kiwi-esque model based on F4U-1A RNZAF Solomons 1945 F4-U

HI Simon,

I had to read through your Post a couple of time to see where you were going with this,

Interesting Scheme :D

The "Spliced Corsair" NZ5307/5272 was the only one in RNZAF Inventory, there was another

in US hands, however built from a (either) USN/USMC Corsair half and an RNZAF Corsair half.

Unfortunately for you and other modellers the Sky Decals are so far fetched (on so many levels).

They have been discussed here on BM previously ( I guess they didn't get the memo :whistle:)

The Sky decals look suspiciously like they were taken from this book by William Green/Gordon Swanborough

4127d176-ee3d-4d6c-bf25-f69989eff63b.jpg

And this Profile - RNZAF Corsair never wore that colour Blue Roundels, and especially

never wore Yellow Surrounds on Roundels on Wings - where the Authors got their information???

52707f5a-5162-44d8-b732-8d5d56f29c2e.jpg

Not withstanding Nice model, and thank you for sharing it with us :thumbsup:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

As a Corsair fanatic I love it but as Alan points out the Sky decals are simply wrong. Hardly your fault. Apparently Ventura decals produce a sheet with the correct colours. 

'Got some funny looks buying hairspray' Why! Are you follicley challenged. 😊