White residue with Vallejo Matt Varnish in spray

blackarrow

Hello

I bought Vallejo Matt Varnish in a spray and I am not very happy with the results. The varnish that comes out of the nozzle has more consistency of droplets and the covering of the surface is just not homogeneous. I tried spraying from a distance of at least 20 cm and I also tried to previously warm-up the can a little bit. Also, I have shaken the can properly. However, the results are always too "dusty" and I have some ugly white residue that stays on the surface (something like white chalk).

Any idea how to make this work? Thanks.

Edit: I just realized the topic is in the wrong forum, please move in to the proper one, sorry.

Edited by blackarrow

• 2 weeks later...

By spray, you mean the aerosol can (the one designed for art use) I assume. I have used that, and still have it somewhere, but never on a model (there being no need). I kept the matte but ditched the satin because it refused to level, exactly as you have described. Sorry, but I never needed to find out why it did that or how to avoid it -- I just gave up with it. Now, about the "chalk". That is actually the substance (possibly is chalk -- not sure) which makes matte varnish matte, and it's not uncommon for some matte varnishes, especially in aerosols, to get complaints of frosting. Other than spraying lighter (easier said than done with a can) and shaking until your arms ache, I could maybe suggest checking for humidity and temperature issues in case they are the cause. Is it too cold/hot or too damp to spray well? Just a surmise though.

• 1 month later...

I frosted my Ta183 using the Humbrol matte spray. In the end, I managed to get around it by using a product called Frylite ( a low calorie spray oil for cooking). I sprayed it into the sink and used a paper towel to pick up some spray. I then wiped this on the sink until just a hint of oil spray was left. It slightly intensified the colour but eliminated the frosting. 

On 11/08/2021 at 19:47, Ade H said:

checking for humidity and temperature issues

Heard this said of Humbrol Matt Aerosol sprays which has a reputation for frosting. Testors, if it is still available, is far better after that I'm stumped.

9 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

I managed to get around it by using a product called Frylite ( a low calorie spray oil for cooking). I sprayed it into the sink and used a paper towel to pick up some spray. I then wiped this on the sink until just a hint of oil spray was left. It slightly intensified the colour but eliminated the frosting.

Never heard of that might be worth a try next time I'm aflicted with frosting.

I had this issue recently with Galleria Matt - my own fault, I had an airbrush issue and sprayed on too heavy a coat. Problem was solved with a coat of Future and then respraying the matt.

Cheers

Colin

37 minutes ago, Circloy said:

Heard this said of Humbrol Matt Aerosol sprays which has a reputation for frosting. Testors, if it is still available, is far better after that I'm stumped.

Never heard of that might be worth a try next time I'm aflicted with frosting.

Obviously, your mileage may vary and I haven't had any call to do it again since as I've started to quite like the gloss finish. Not sure where I recall reading the original article unfortunately.