Eastern Express 1/72 Nieuport 11

stevehed

5qeJzbG.jpg

There aren't many French aircraft on my shelves so I've been through the stash. No shortage of choice so I'm going to try and make amends. First to the workbench will be the Bebe. In the box it doesn't look much different from the Nieuport 16 from the same manufacturer.

• Like 11

Hi,

To quote Wiki - "In 1916 an improved version appeared as the Nieuport 16, which was a strengthened Nieuport 11 airframe powered by a 110 hp (82 kW) Le Rhône 9J rotary engine. Visible differences included a larger aperture in front of the "horse shoe" cowling and a headrest for the pilot". I was thinking of building the same kit but I am not sure I have time. I will watch with interest.

Pete

• Like 1

Welcome to the GB Steve, I like the Nieuports, attractive little aircraft.  What scheme are you going with?

Good luck with your build.

Thanks Wez and Peter. I'm going with clear doped linen and generic French roundels. I've had a trawl around the net and according to the better informed on The Aerodrome the silvery dope came in with the Niueport 17 and later models. Might have been some late model 16's but most of these apparently were camouflaged.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

QAxuyKI.jpg
zapbEN7.jpg

A little more progress to report. The small amounts of filler at the wing roots has been blended in and I've been carefully removing parts. Quite a bit of flash but luckily haven't broke anything yet. Main accomplishment has been getting the top wing straight.

• Like 8

Just looking at the size of the box compared to the model.

It used to make me really upset as a nipper to open a big box only to find the finished kit was actually smaller than the picture on the lid !

Looks the business and nearly finished so probably planning your next build in this GB :wicked:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed and posted in the Gallery. I built it OOB with the exception of the axle which was replaced with 35thou rod. I'm happy with generic examples but the options are an aircraft flown by the Russian ace Kruten, a generic Ukrainian machine, circa 1918-19 and Vieux Charles flown by Georges Guynemer. Might build a Morane Bullet next.

Regards, Steve

• 4 weeks later...