1/48 Bulgarian PZL P.24B - Mirage Hobby ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

Thanks Ray. I've just mixed my Nightfigher Beaufighter black colour. I used Tamiya Rubber black with a dash of flat blue. The blue reduces the brown effect of Rubber black. 

I'm sure in certain light it will give the paint a hint of blue hue. This is the last of my four Beaufighters. 

• Like 1

What a satisfying stage to reach without any disasters :phew: . I'm always nervous when removing masks and doubly so with a new paint line. The Hataka performed faultlessly. Pleasingly, there was no bleed, no paint lift, those fine tips were achieved, and best of all, no pesky decal stripes to apply.

PZL P24B Construction 81

The port side tip end finished a little wonky (difficult to see) but good enough to leave alone. This will also be less noticeable when the roundels and number decals are applied.

PZL P24B Construction 83

I have no complaints on the starboard side. 

PZL P24B Construction 82

Underside in the Hataka Polish Blue-Grey.

PZL P24B Construction 84

The Hataka paints were very good thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Dried very quickly, smooth and semi-gloss. You could decal immediately. However, I will let it rest for some hours and then put a thin GX-100 gloss coat over the top. I am also very pleased with the Polish Khaki colour achieved by darkening the Light Khaki slightly with the Dark Khaki in the Hataka set.  

Ray 

Edit: Apologies I meant to include this photo of the stripes and rudder masked before the underside was painted.

PZL P24B Construction 85

Edited by Ray_W
Added Photo
  • Like 10

Decals are done.

PZL P24B Construction 86

I used the Tamiya decal solutions with their decal adhesive underneath and Mark Fit Strong over the top. No adverse reaction with either the GX-100 or the decals. With so much ribbing it did take some effort. A stronger decal solution may of been even better as the decals are quite stiff. Some Mark Fit Strong under the decal may of also assisted. I also supplemented the decal solution with a hot moist towel to pat them down. However, I can't complain with the results.

PZL P24B Construction 90

I tidied up a split with a little white paint on a couple of the ribs. Should largely disappear with some weathering and a satin coat. 

PZL P24B Construction 89

There were no issues when applying the decals to a smooth surface. They look painted on and this is before a finish clear coat. Nice if the first aid cross was in register; now I am being pedantic. 

PZL P24B Construction 87

I think there are a couple of errors in the decal sheet. Most references show the PZL logo and model number in red. Also the model number is slightly oversize so I had to crib a bit, lowering the number set and cutting the "P" and repositioning closer to the "24". The other issue is that the fin numbers are incorrectly supplied at the same height as the fuselage numbers. I decided on "1" for the fin number so I could easily trim that supplied to a more correct size.

PZL P24B Construction 88

Ray

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, CliffB said:

What a dramatic set of markings :thumbsup2:.  Rarely seen.

Sure are Cliff, one reason why I was treating them with kid gloves. Replacement would be a pain.

• Like 1

Don't you love it when you can paint a model and its struts separately and then glue them on later without issue. This kit has been one of those builds. Spending some time at the start of the build checking positions and fit and adjusting as need be now pays off.

PZL P24B Construction 91

I have not glued the top of the brass tensioner straps in case I need to do a little adjustment when the wheels spat go on.

PZL P24B Construction 92

It measures pretty good so no headaches are expected.

PZL P24B Construction 93

This is a good kit. Definitely not Tamiya and yet a very satisfying somewhat challenging build. 

I think it is time for a little weathering without overdoing the panel lines. I can see the finish line.

Ray

• Like 9

Most excellent work, particularly the masking. :clap2:

46 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Don't you love it when you can paint a model and its struts separately and then glue them on later without issue. This kit has been one of those builds. 

'tis a thing of joy. I nearly lost a Lysander due to horrible strut alignment. I was lucky to escape with wonky wing alignment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I nearly lost a Lysander due to horrible strut alignment.

Always the fear with these types of assembly. I am looking forward to building my Tamiya Storch to enjoy just how they address this issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Don't you love it when you can paint a model and its struts separately and then glue them on later without issue. This kit has been one of those builds

I do ray , its something that i find myself doing more and more lately,test fitting and thinking a couple of steps in front ,i reckon like garry kasparov, but mrs hewy says " absolutely not"🙄.... whatever

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

nearly lost a Lysander due to horrible strut alignment. I was lucky to escape with wonky wing alignment.

I hope it isn't  the dora wings  lysander 😳, I've destroyed the resin  exaust collector on my kit in another gb , I'm  not enjoying my build so far

44 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I hope it isn't  the dora wings  lysander 😳, I've destroyed the resin  exaust collector on my kit in another gb , I'm  not enjoying my build so far

It was the Gavia/Eduard 1/48 kit. Apparently Eduard address this in their latest release by moving the locating holes in the wing. If I had attached the struts after attaching wing to fuselage, I might have been able to avoid catastrophe by drilling new locating holes. Of course, with the model in such a fragile state, the end result may well have been indistinguishable.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:32 AM, modelling minion said:

Looking really good Ray,

Thanks Craig. All complete now with the exception of the gun sights to be fitted tomorrow in daylight.

On 9/24/2021 at 6:54 AM, Greg Law said:

This means it is lost, so I have ordered another one.

Goodness me Greg, that's unfortunate.

Well I am calling this one done other than the gunsights as mentioned to Craig. Failing light tonight so I will wait for tomorrow to do those and then some gallery shots. 

Here it is all-but-finished. A very attractive aircraft. 

PZL P24B Finished 2

I decided to leave off the rear canopy section. I was not happy with the modified canopy and besides the set-up as portrayed was common with Bulgarian P.24b's. As you can see in the following image of the aircraft I modelled; I did decide to fit the MG's. It is also interesting that these early Bulgarian aircraft did not show the aerial wires or their top wing fitments. Just a small post on the fin. I suspect no radio so this made matters easy. No wires. 

PZL P24B Construction 6 (Custom)

Also, leaving off the canopy does give a better view of the "pit" 

PZL P24B Finished 8

PZL P24B Finished 6

PZL P24B Finished 5

PZL P24B Finished 1

PZL P24B Finished 4

An attractive aircraft and an enjoyable build. Well done Mirage Hobby.

PZL P24B Finished 7

That was a great little project. Thanks to everyone for their support and the hosts for such an interesting GB subject. It should not be my last "high-wing" in this GB; I have a Storch and Bird Dog ready to start. However, next up is Tamiya's new F-4B and time to meet my commitment to the Phantom STGB.  Back soon.

Ray

• Like 11

• Ray_W changed the title to 1/48 Bulgarian PZL P.24B - Mirage Hobby ***FINISHED***
7 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

That looks outstanding!

Thank you so much and thanks for the support through the project. It is a subject and scheme that is a stand out in the collection. One of the many reasons why I like the GB's is that it makes you think about subjects you may not normally build. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

What a fantastic result on a great looking aircraft Ray.

Your usual very high standards and attention to detail have shown what is possible from this kit and that people should give different manufacturers a chance, I will certainly look at  Mirage kits in the future.

A brilliant addition to your Bulgarian aircraft collection.

Very well done mate.

• Like 1