Revell/Ozmods 1/144 Grumman C-2A -- Finished

dnl42

OzMods provide decals for the prop tips. I know some like prop tip decals...I don't.

I usually use tape cut to width for 1/48 prop tips, but that approach was proving very difficult with these. At some point, I saw a good solid basis at the base of the prop blades for a full-blade mask. I drew some masks in Inkscape and cut them onto Tamiya tape with my Silhouette Portrait cutter.

c2a-prop-bands-snip.png

I'm so very glad the USN gave up on those goofy 3-color prop tips.

The blades have been painted white and the masks are applied to the front and rear of the blades.

c2a-props0.jpg

The red bands are done

c2a-props1.jpg

And here are the finished props. Hm, a couple of the tip bands are a little wonky...:wall:

c2a-props2.jpg

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thats a great job on the props 👍, it would have been so easy to do a basic black paint job and leave it

Thanks! And don't think all black didn't cross my mind!

• Haha 1

Started on the decals. While they lay down very nicely, there are some with sizing issues. The fuselage center-line walkway decal was too long so it didn't align with the exit hatches. It was easy enough to cut it down in situ.

c2a-decals0.jpg

The vertical stabilizer decals are way too large; I'll trim them down once they dry. Too late now, but I should have painted the deicing boots on the empennage, too... :wall:

c2a-decals1.jpg

• Like 4

The decals are on. :penguin:

Most of the generic stencils are from the Revell kit. I had to augment the E-2C's prop warning stripe with some of the OzMods' warning stripe because of the C-2's added fuselage girth.

c2a-decals2.jpg

Still working on the vertical stabilizer decals. Maybe time to bring out the Solvaset. :fight:

c2a-decals3.jpg

I was most concerned about the cheat line. Both getting the white-gray demarcation to end at the right spot on the tail and applying those long thin decals. It turns out I worried too much, well except for the part where I should have put the cheat line decals on before the prop warning stripe. Some additional bits of the OzMods' warning stripe fixed that layering issue. 

• Like 6

@Tim R-T-C, the conversion is available from the OzMods site.

Woohoo! I'm done! :yahoo:

As the nose gear doors were flat, I was able to thin them down to a more reasonable thickness. Painting all the door edges was a royal PITA. I used MSI Micro Satin for the clear coat. 

c2a-finished0.jpg

I'll post pictures in the gallery presently.

Oh, and here's a family shot

c2a-finished13.jpg

• Like 6

• dnl42 changed the title to Revell/Ozmods 1/144 Grumman C-2A -- Finished

I noticed that stbd nose aircraft marking had fallen off at some point. You can see it missing in this shot

c2a-finished05.jpg

We had a little heart-to-heart and it decided to toe the line again...

c2a-finished14.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3