Auster 6 Antarctic, Airfix 1/72

Avereda

Ready to load into the stalls, the venerable Airfix Auster Antarctic which I purchased off @fightersweep in preparation for this GB having first discounted all the existing high wing aircraft in my stash, sigh.

The bag and bits

51351574277_042a092452_b.jpg

The other side of the bag and bits

51352538288_014b2e0720_b.jpg

The de-yellowing decals

51353332610_7967cb4b25_b.jpg

The plan is to finish off a couple of other models before starting but I think we already know how that’s going to go.

• Like 7

I believe this one of the first dozen or so Airfix kits I built. Some of the parts were very flimsy for me aged about 9 and I recall never quite being happy with it so it did not last very long - at least I did not need to paint it much! 

Good luck

Pete

• Like 1

I'll be onboard to follow this one! Glad to see the old girl being built at last. It's one of the few Airfix kits that I haven't ever managed to get around to building, but there was so much ahead in the build pile that it always got overlooked, that and the fact that what I'm really after is an AOP 9. Looking forward to the progress!

Steve

Welcome @Avereda with a classic high-wing kit.  It looks like that bag has never been opened, so it may be complete with a lung-full of 1960's air :winkgrin:

I remember building this kit as a lad, but I'd forgotten that it comes with floats and wheels too.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 8:05 PM, CliffB said:

Welcome @Avereda with a classic high-wing kit.  It looks like that bag has never been opened, so it may be complete with a lung-full of 1960's air :winkgrin:

I’d already put a slit in the bag to get the decals out (more on that later) so I was spared the gush of dodgy 60’s “air”. As it turns out that was the least of my problems but I knew this wasn’t going to be easy.

The starboard fuselage was pretty badly warped so there was no way of connecting the two sides without surgery. I’ve split the starboard part and I may have to remove a section to get a decent fit. This isn’t such a big deal as there’s plenty of scope for upgrading the interior any way - all part of the fun.

51372434510_11b2189d0a_b.jpg

The next problem is going to be a little trickier to resolve. The instructions will have you cement together parts 11 & 12 to form the canopy.

51370668472_998220e072_b.jpg

Here are all the clear parts I could find, remember I mentioned a slit in the bag - I fear part 12 has escaped and being clear it is not going to be recaptured. Nice to have the old Airfix stand though.

51372434540_2b558dcef5_b.jpg

So, I need to devise a solution:

1. Rig something together out of spare clear parts, clear acetate etc. Tricky, because the wings join this part.

2. Email Airfix spares dept and beg for a part. Would they keep parts for such an ancient kit?

3. Search for a vacform canopy. No luck so far.

3. Ask around on the forum to see if anyone has a spare canopy. Bit of an ask.

4. Make a buck and see if some kind soul can vacform one for me. Even bigger ask.

5. Make a buck and build a vacform rig. Bit much for one part.

I’ll probably work through the above possibilities in order until I get something suitable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, fightersweep said:

the fact that what I'm really after is an AOP 9

Someone did a vac-form once, Hallam-vac I think; I recall building it in the late 1980s/early 90s. 

@Avereda you probably know this anyway, but unless it's been moved the original is in Hangar 1 at Cosford, ideal 1:1 reference if getting there is practical for you.  An interesting little aeroplane.  Have fun.

• 2 months later...

A rather long hiatus on this one but I had a bit of time yesterday to have a play around with it. Photo shows where it’s at, I’ve gone for floats rather than wheels or skis and I’ll have a bash at some sort of clear acetate solution for the canopy. A load of Milliput will be required for the underside of the fuselage which is a mass of misalignment and odd angles.

51662232985_6cfff8059f_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, CliffB said:

It's really nice to see this one under way again :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Thanks, I’ve done a little more over the last couple of nights. There’s no way this will make the gallery (along with the Sherman in the Heller GB), so I’ve decided to go the full interior. I’ve started to rough things out inside the cockpit, plenty more to do yet.

51689641489_52a6cbc7fe_b.jpg

• Like 6