Flybe ATR 72-500 in 1/144

Finnair and Flybe had a joint operation for Nordic area's regional traffic from 2011 to 2015. Their fleet in Flybe's livery consisted of several ATR 72-500 turboprops. After the co-operation ceased Finnair have continued to use the planes under the brand name of "Norra". As to Flybe, they filed for bankruptcy in May, 2020 but I've heard rumours that they will return to the skies later on this year financed by the investment fund Cyrus Capital. However, I don't know whether it's true.

My model was a very tough kitbashing project mating the longer fuselage and wings of F-RSIN's ATR-72 kit with Italeri ATR-42's engines, propellers, landing gears and wheels. The decals for the plane I ordered from 26Decals. There was lots of puttying and sanding to be done and at some point I got so tired of the job that I almost threw the whole thing to the bin. Finally I made it and the outcome could be worse. Had I, however known how difficult the project was going to be I probably would have skipped it and decided to wait for a new ATR 72-500 kit.

I primed the whole plane with Mr. Surfacer 1000. For the white areas I used Tamiya Fine Surface primer which I then varnished with Tamiya clear gloss TS-13. The underside of the Flybe livery is blue and in my eyes the closest shade was Revell enamel paint nr. 50. I also scratched quite a lot of details to the model and used Vallejo acrylics and Humbrol/Revell enamels for the smaller parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 20

Hi Einar 

The result certainly justified the work you did. That's a beauty in a sadly missed livery. Thanks for sharing.

In my personal opinion the best 1/144 ATR-72 is the PAS Models resin kit. I have two unbuilt in my stash and they are just stretched versions of the ATR-42 which I recently built in Air Wales colours. It gave me a decent result with a fraction of your work. In the newer kits PAS also give you the bonus of photo real windscreen decals.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Einar 

The result certainly justified the work you did. That's a beauty in a sadly missed livery. Thanks for sharing.

In my personal opinion the best 1/144 ATR-72 is the PAS Models resin kit. I have two unbuilt in my stash and they are just stretched versions of the ATR-42 which I recently built in Air Wales colours. It gave me a decent result with a fraction of your work. In the newer kits PAS also give you the bonus of photo real windscreen decals.

Dave G

Thank you Dave!

If I had known about the PAS kit I would have chosen it for sure!

Cheers

Einar