Tamiya Toyota Celica 2000GTR

Even with brand new decals these white side stripes would be hard to get straight. With 30 year old decals that tear - that's not going to happen. Even the bit done right looks like a scratch.

spacer.png

Fortunately the rest of the decals go down mostly without problems, and they're more important.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

And a nice coat of Humbrol Baltic blue for the calipers from a Toyota Crown.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Under really bright sunlight, the paint does look something other then metallic BR Blue.

spacer.png

And finally.... clearcoat and polishing. Although there' a little way to go yet, several semi-gloss black lips and lower panels that need masking and painting.  I've never know an build to pick up so so much dust, knocks, scuffs, imperfections and stuff as this one all slowing down arriving at this point. There's a lot of polish in the panel lines at this point.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I'm using masking sheet backing paper to protect my (albeit clearcoated) decals, just in case.   Part of the long masking job for the black sills and other bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This kit is from long before window masks, so the glass has been done with black paint (front scuttle panel) and a magic marker (the rest).

spacer.png

Stingy mounting points for the glass-glue contact.

spacer.png

Good old BMF, how did I ever do without it?

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job so far on this classic Tamiya kit. I’ve always thought these late 80’s Celicas were among the best stylings that Toyota ever produced, still a fabulous looking body IMO, particularly in comparison with some of the ugly cars being released these days (I won’t mention specific cars but you can guess which ones I’m thinking of…). This dark blue metallic one that you are building brings back nice memories for me. My first wife and I had a rental car that looked just like this one that we drove around N. Cal for a week in ‘88 while on our honeymoon. It handled fairly well for a FWD of that time, fun car.

Looking forward to seeing this beauty finished!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Spelling correction

2 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Nice job so far on this classic Tamiya kit. I’ve always thought these late 80’s Celicas were among the best stylings that Toyota ever produced, still a fabulous looking body IMO, particularly in comparison with some of the ugly cars being released these days

Thanks!.. Completed thread is up as below.