Harder & Steenbeck Ultra - stiff trigger fix?

RobL

Hey all

Some months ago I replaced the needle packing seal in my Harder & Steenbeck Ultra, to cure an issue of paint coming through into the trigger area.  However ever since I replaced that seal the trigger has been stiff, which makes pulling it a small way back very awkward.

This issue is ruining any attempt that I make of doing fine/small area details.

Would anyone here happen to know if there's a way to fix this issue - i.e. make the trigger a little less stiff on it's initial pull back?

Thanks in advance.

I think you might have overtightened the screw that holds the PTFE seal. It's supposed to be tightened so that you feel a slight drag on the needle (without the trigger or the needle chuck installed), but not so much that there's significant resistance.

You should also check the needle to make sure it's clean in the area where it "sits" in the seal (sometimes paint dries up on it and creates a small ring that rubs against the seal) and check the trigger and needle chuck for dried paint or excessive wear. 

Not so funny story: my trigger has excessive wear on the axle and at one point it became unpredictable. I took it apart and polished the axle/rod and it went back to normal. Almost two years later it's doing it again so I'll have to repeat the process (or buy a new trigger).

• Thanks 1

Thanks. that seems to have been the problem.  I unscrewed the screw that holds the needle seal and then screwed it back up, but not as tight.  I also cleaned the needle, although there was only a tiny speck on it.  Worked much better earlier having done both of those things.

• Like 1