Enzo's Project Pt 3 - Beaufighter

Airfix seem to have cornered the market for Bristol's wartime combat twins.  Part 3 of my project is the Airfix Beaufighter.  This will be finished in the rare (an unpopular with crews) anti-submarine scheme.  Mostly white with uppersurfaces of flying surfaces in Temperate Sea Scheme.

spacer.png

We're back to familar ground with the plastic.  I've built half a dozen of these kits so far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Assembly of the interior is most straightforward.  Sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1010 Aircraft grey green and weathered with Flory Wash Grime.  Seat harness added from Eduard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think that the mould has seen a lot of use over the past couple of years.  The nose is slightly warped.   I think Airfix must have sold a lot of Beaufighters!

spacer.png

But it's not a problem that cyano cannot fix!  :)    No need for a masking set this time round.  Masking the canopy is very straightforward with Tamiya tape.

spacer.png

Wings assembled and fitted.

spacer.png

The model was then primed and sprayed with Lifecolor UA109 Extra Dark Sea Grey.

spacer.png

• Like 5

The horizontal surfaces were then masked using sections from the Airfix Blenheim painting guide, suitable blown up to scale on a photocopier.

spacer.png

The disruptive pattern was sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1037 Light Slate Grey.   The colout should actually be Dark Slate Grey but I have always found Xtracrylix's rendition of this to be too dark and not providing enough contrast to the EDSG.  Light Slate Grey looks a lot better.

spacer.png

The disruptice pattern was then masked again...

spacer.png

... and the whole aircraft sprayed with white car primer from a rattle can. 

spacer.png

Looks weird!  :yikes: 

• Like 7