1/12th Scale Wood Strip Canoe

This isn’t a typical subject for this forum, but it seems the most appropriate place to put it. Assuming of course that non-plastic models are even welcome on BritModeller.

This kit is sold by Bear Mountain Boats in Canada who make full size would strip canoes, and provide full kits of materials and patterns for home construction of full-size boats. The 1/12th scale canoe is built in exactly the same fashion, with the same materials, as the full size prototype.

The kit would be very expensive to buy in from Canada, but I was lucky to find one in the UK cheap on Ebay. I decided to get a bit of extra mileage from the build process by setting it in my 1/12th garage diorama.

s-l1600-38.jpg

s-l1600-39.jpg

s-l1600-40.jpg

s-l1600-41.jpg

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

• Like 18

Well played! :clap2:

did get caught, even though I read the intro! But then, the incongruities began to intrude on the illusion.

This will be fun to watch. :popcorn:

• Like 2

Just brilliant, it still messes with my head when I go through the images, the VW van with the reflections in the side is perfect, I'm kind of half expecting a double bluff where you actually reveal at the end of the thread that you have built a real canoe and own a real DB5 :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Absolutely fabulous. I think you need to put a link in the vehicle chat section. There will be a lot of interest in your garage.

Pete, I was going to put some garage photos in the diorama section once I've worked it up a bit more - it's very much a work in progress with not a lot done yet.

Edited by Camwader
Needed editing.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

While I’m waiting for the resin on the hull to harden off sufficiently for a rub down and polish, I made the seats and started carving a paddle.

It’s best to leave the hull on the jig for sanding so it’s supported well - once that’s done it can come off and the inside then needs smoothing off.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Camwader, that canoe has beautiful lines. And are you sure that's not a 1/1 workshop? Regards, Jeff.

Jeff, I'm pretty sure that garage is the little fella - but at my age I'm easily confused

• Like 3

Gidday Camwader, OK, you've convinced me. That ultra clean workshop should have been a giveaway. You need some 1/12 scale dirt on the floor. 😁

Seriously, you've done a good job on the bow and stern of the canoe (which is which?). That whole scene is a work of art, all it needs is a pin-up calendar (you know the sort 😁) Very well done.

Regards, Jeff.