Su-34 typical loadouts

MarcV

Morning all,

I'm building the KN SU-34 which surprisingly is going quite well so far.

Although I've seen some great builds with very impressive weapons loads they look like these would get you round the circuit once before running out of fuel.

If anyone can point me to some typical operational loadouts (and pylons and launcher rails), not airshow type loadouts that would be much appreciated.

Thanks. 

Hi, I assume the Kitty Hawk kit you mean!

I would google for Su-34 over Syria, that is the only typical you can get.

They mostly fly rather lightly loaded with dumb bombs, but there are exeptions to this!

Do not forget the ECM pods on the wing tips!

E.g.

800px-Fixing_KAB-500S_guided_bombs_to_a_

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Fixing_KAB-500S_guided_bombs_to_a_Sukhoi_Su-34_at_Latakia_(1).jpg/800px-Fixing_KAB-500S_guided_bombs_to_a_Sukhoi_Su-34_at_Latakia_(1).jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/defencyclopedia.com/2015/10/22/special-report-analysis-of-russias-airstrikes-in-syria/amp/

PS: hope to see some pics soon here on BM :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Interesting photo, it looks like the light blue underside colour is carried into the intake a lot further than on the Su-27/35. Every time I see a photo of a Flanker/Fullback on the ground I am stunned at the size of them, the ground crew must need a step ladder to reach the underside between the engines!

Duncan B

a few years old now - Russia Today report from Latakia, Syria.  Twelve hardpoints, don't see more than two loaded at any point on this vid. I just read that from this month they will be carrying air-to-air missiles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FalkeEins said:

. I just read that from this month they will be carrying air-to-air missiles

There are definitely R-73 missiles loaded on this one, plus more than 2 bombs..

su-34.jpg

https://www.jejaktapak.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/su-34.jpg

And I assume to tease Nato, there are also Kh-31 and other dangerouslyfast/ modern precision air to surface/ anti-ship missiles out there...

As usual   load depend on the mission purpose!

Can be airshow, can be show of force, can be ground support, quick reaction alert, strategically planned,   recce, .... ...

Just do not mix too much... :D

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback, very valuable.

Anyone know what MER's are required for the FAB 250 / 500 bombs? I'm assuming the same MER's for both types are suitable,

ExDraken, you are indeed correct Sir, KH indeed.

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Not that difficult..... I think 5 bombs per rack, 7 racks?

Fab 100?

I do believe so... unfortunately, buying all those FABs and MERs in resin would cost more than the kit itself🤣

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, drake122 said:

I do believe so... unfortunately, buying all those FABs and MERs in resin would cost more than the kit itself🤣

Those Su-34s are rather expensive...

Or you buy some of the KH weapons sets.. aka kits with weapons included... :D

23 hours ago, MarcV said:

Thanks all for the feedback, very valuable.

Anyone know what MER's are required for the FAB 250 / 500 bombs? I'm assuming the same MER's for both types are suitable,

ExDraken, you are indeed correct Sir, KH indeed.

I'm not an expert but I think they use MBD3-U6 "MERs" with BD3-USK adaptors between the aircraft pylons and the "MERs". ResKit (reskit.com.ua) do them in 1/48 along with a range of FABs but they are not cheap, something like $9 for 2x MBD3 and the same for 4x FAB 250s so if your looking at doing a full load out it'll soon start to add up.

Duncan B

Just my two cents and in no way an expert. I have done some reading on the use of the SU-34 in Syria. My research indicates that in most cases the Fullback flew with 4-6 dumb bombs in the 250 to 500KG range. They did use the KAB 500 smart bombs on a very a limited basis. From an air to air stand point, they didn't carry any air to air missles initially, but did start to carrty them after the Turks shot down the SU-24. Both the R-73 and the R27R being seen in one picture that I found and just the R-73 in another photo.

Nothing diffinative, but I would agree that if you are going with an operational load, less more common. 

Joe

• Like 2

Maybe worth a Wanted Ad for surplus bits from Frogfoots etc if your're not too bothered about complete accuracy of detail vs resin. Folk on here are rather helpful for such things which is a bit nice.

• Like 1

Typical loadout for an aircraft:

What do you asume to be typical? The loadouts used is a matter of actual conflicts interferred. Depending on the enemy: Iron bombs or high tech weapons. There are plenty of F-15I in action with iron bombs, on the other hand old F-16 versions with more sophisticated weapons as the a/c by itself. Exactly the same on Russian a/c. In western publications very often the most horribly weapon arrangment on Russian a/c are shown, to justify western arms developement.  Just some guess.

Happy modelling