1/72 Lancaster Bomber revell

With this kit I am using enamels by revell. I was wondering what the best paints are for other models in the future that are fairly affordable and have a wide range of colours?

Kit formed nicely. Built in a flight position saved a lot of work. 

I have another one of these still to do so I shall keep you up to date with that one very soon.

One question - do you have a local model shop or do you have to order online?

If you are fortunate enough to have a nearby model shop then I would be inclined to use what they stock - it is so convenient to be able able to just pop in and buy a single bottle of paint when you need it.  I have to shop online, so find myself have to build up orders to make the order and postage worthwhile. If I need a colour I’ll either put it on a list until it is worth putting in an order or add other colours or items that I don’t really need but could be useful.   It would be great to have a local shop.

The next question would be airbrushing or hand brushing?

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

I am still hand painting all my models at the minute. And yes I do indeed have a very small model shop nearby and they have stock of quite a lot of mr colour paints of which don’t look too bad. 

Having that local shop though is brilliant as I forgot some decal fix the other day. 90 minutes later I had already got some. And it also boosts the modelling community rather than Amazon.

• Like 2

I feel though that enamels are just too much fuss with all the thinners and prolonged drying times. I think that having a slight drop in quality but having a paint that is way more versatile could be well worth it.

8 hours ago, Planes123 said:

I am still hand painting all my models at the minute. And yes I do indeed have a very small model shop nearby and they have stock of quite a lot of mr colour paints of which don’t look too bad. 

Personally, I'd use Mr Color then.  I've never used them myself because I am restricted to mail order and the first ones I got were Vallejo so I've stayed with them - not out of loyalty but out of consistency - you can't beat having a local shop that you can pop in and get supplies as you need them.

I'd stay away from Tamiya if brush painting - they are good for airbrushing but they dry so quickly brush painting is difficult without using additives.

In my opinion, enamels are still the best, for both hand and air brushing.  I don't use them myself because I bought into the whole, water is best, save the environment etc.  And there is a lot in that, especially if airbrushing.  Enamels are great but they are a bit noxious in use and especially in clean-up.  The other downside with enamels is many couriers won't ship them so you end up using expensive couriers and to make it worthwhile you have to by quite a few at a time.

Whenever, I have seen colour comparison charts the most consistently accurate is Colourcoats.  They are enamels and I don't think they are widely distributed, so that usually means mail order and high courier prices.

Cheers,

Nigel