Ford GT40 Mk.II - Le Mans 1966 - Meng 1/24

Hi mates,

I am starting to build this fantastic car driven by Ken Miles at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966

51347846558_41b532acfd_b.jpg
by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

20883768-7674787-The_top_three_Ford_GT40
Source:  Daily Mail

A quick look inside the box:

51347846493_75f2442ed8_b.jpg

51348642240_d7a8186f23_b.jpg

51348642185_2a7be8a439_b.jpg

51347846393_bbde9c5845_b.jpg

51348361634_78cb18f57a_b.jpg

51347614756_29267fdff7_b.jpg

51348642070_1a7f7b0e36_b.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Six97s said:

Interested to see how this builds up.  I think I'd still give the nod to the Fujimi one - the shape of the front end and headlamps looks a bit better to my eye.

You are right. And Trump's is far better and also 1/12.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:21 AM, Rod The Fixer said:

I am starting to build this fantastic car driven by Ken Miles & Dennis Hulme at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966

There, fixed it for you. ;) :D Since the movie, so many seem to forget that Ken had a Kiwi co driver who shared the work load with him. Just saying <_<

I'll be keen to see this come together, these Le Mans 66 cars have been iconic for me since that date.

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There, fixed it for you. ;) :D Since the movie, so many seem to forget that Ken had a Kiwi co driver who shared to work load with him. Just saying <_<

I'll be keen to see this come together, these Le Mans 66 cars have been iconic for me since that date.

Steve.

You are right Steve … Denny Hulme “The Bear”

Here a short Bio

1967-monaco-grand-prix-denny-hulme-denny

BTW He won the Montecarlo Gp in 1967 and his victory was overshadowed from Lorenzo Bandini (Bandini drove the Ferrari in the Le Mans 1966 race) fatal accident.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Watching with interest

I build the Meng P51D mustang (plane not car 😅) a couple of years ago and I was well impressed with the quality and fit of the kit, well up to Tamiya quality :)

Look forward to seeing progress

Ian :) 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Leaving aside the excellence of your build, I'm intrigued by the photo f the three Fords - well, actually No 62 running beside them. Anybody got an idea of what that was/is?

Alpine A210, 1296 cc, driven by Cella and Grandsire, 3 rd placed "index of performance". A210 made in 1/24 by Heller long ago, and Le Mans Miniatures more recently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Numbers 1 and 2 were both Shelby cars, and pretty similar. Number 5 is Holman and Moody - with several differences, the most obvious of which is the lack of a central splitter in the front air duct (also the fuel pumps, door eyebrows, black chassis etc.). Is this mentioned in the kit?

Nice clean build, by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Started mine a few days ago, delayed due to cataract surgery on my right eye.... It's a really nice kit to work on parts fit is very well engineered. I was going to do do Ken and Denny's Car, but since you're already doing it, I think I'll go for the black one! One question - painting all those eyelets in the seats...damn! Glad to have separate seats, makes handling them a bit easier.

Your engine is a treat!

They (Meng) have done a rather poor job on that engine - the dimples for the valve cover bolts are way oversize, yet have no bolt detail, then there's the mess that is the timing cover, water pump, alternator and drive belt all moulded as one piece.  😑   You've certainly made the best of it. 👍

• Like 1

It occurs to me that once the engine is in situ, the simplification of the front of the engine isn't going to be much of an issue. providing a multi-piece front end would have probably added to the cost for little gain. Then add the pile of exhaust headers.. the bolt heads in reality are really tiny and at 1/24th...http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2014/07/1966-Ford-GT40-engine-blocks.jpg  The engine on the right has what looks like maybe 9/16th heads

• Like 2