Rareplanes 1/72 Supermarine Spiteful (£5)

AdrianMF

I have a vague memory that it was an early kit and was re-issued. Certainly the packaging on yours look a bit posher than mine! I think he redid some tools as they wore out fairly quickly, they were produced in fairly limited numbers. I can imagine hot plastic card degraded the moulds fairly easily. 

• Like 1

This is looking really good!

I have one of these in my stash (buried in a long-undisturbed corner of the loft until I started reading this thread) - complete with £1.90 price tag from The Aviation Hobby Shop! I suppose now it's seen the light of day for the first time for 40-odd years I'll have to do something with it. I have so far compared the elevators with my (completed aeons ago) Rareplanes Seafire Mk47 and (still in the stash) Airfix Mk22 and they appear to be of similar size. Hopefully it won't be another 40 years before the next development...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

I think he redid some tools as they wore out fairly quickly, they were produced in fairly limited numbers. I can imagine hot plastic card degraded the moulds fairly easily. 

The spiel on my kit says "Even before work commences, the model is rare; only 2,000 impressions are taken from each mould for international distribution".

• Like 3

Well, the paint’s on:

C1-E849-A8-288-B-4-F51-94-E7-450-A6172-B

Vallejo Model Air Medium Sea Grey and Ocean Grey with Revell Acrylic Dark Green. 

It turns out I’ve been doing Medium Sea Grey wrong for all these years. It’s much darker than my home brew mixes:

5087-E1-B2-6-CF1-4-D0-F-A6-CE-6-AF639-FC

A tiny bit of weathering (they didn’t get out much) and decals tomorrow, and it will be done. 

I’ve now used up my tenner on four models!

• Like 7

Well, bits n bobs, odds n sods and a coat of Pledge multi surface polish and we are done:

6420-C47-D-447-A-426-A-BA32-0-CE5-BB793-

Two things to note:

* The new polish (my previous jar of Future is way over 20 years old and the consistency of golden syrup) is shiny and fast drying and great, but the scent they put in it reminds me of public loos…

* I’m unlikely to make another Spiteful so I doubled up with a couple of notable airframes: Left side is RB515,  the first production version; and the Right side is RB518, the fastest ever British service propeller aeroplane in level flight (494mph at 27,800ft).

Thanks for a super GB!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 12

Hi Adrian. Well it looks absolutely superb in the Gallery. Beautiful modelling as always. :worthy:

Thank you for building it in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Sir,that is indeed a superb result.

Rareplanes vacforms were the "bee's knees" back in the day,it is a shame that no one bought up the moulds and carried on.

If one remembers,the Attacker was originally to be called the "Jet Spiteful".

The Spiteful prototype had the Spitfire XIV/XVII tail unit and short carburetor intake,,production versions had the longer intake 

and the Spitfire 22/24/Seafire 46/47 tail unit.

One Spiteful(RB518),as one mentions,was at one time the fastest piston fighter in the world.

Fitted with a Griffon Mk.101,it was ran at +25 lbs boost!!!,obviously,Griffon's were plentiful back then.....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...