1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.163B/S Komet by Wolfpack Design & Hobby 2000 (plastic Academy) - released

Homebee

Wolfpack Design is to rebox the 1/72nd Academy "Komet" as Premiun Edition Kit Messerschmitt Me.163B/S "Komet" - ref. WP17209

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/wolfpackd/posts/259934992606564

https://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp17209.html

Forthcoming items in Sept. 2021~*

WP17209 1/72 Messerschmitt Me163B/S 'Komet' - 2 Kits in Box (Premium Edition Kit)

Sprue parts from Academy Plastic Model Co.

PE parts and Canopy & Wheel mask included.

Total 6 a/c markings for the Luftwaffe and VVS (Captured)

Decals

228831876-259932672606796-65396327053803

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.163B/S "Komet" by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - decals+schemes - release September 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.163B/S Komet by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - decals+schemes+box art - release January 2022

Source: https://www.facebook.com/wolfpackd/posts/345801607353235

New item in Jan. 2022~*

http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp17209.html

WP17209 1/72 Me163B/S Komet (Premium Edition Kit)

Total 57 plastic parts with PE parts, 1 Metal part

Sprue parts from Academy Plastic Models,

Metal pitot tube and Masking seal included,

Total 6 A/C markins for the Luftwaffe and VVS

Decal printing by Cartograf, Italy

266720072-345799780686751-31379386045810

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2021 at 2:45 PM, LanceB said:

The best 1/75 scale Komet on the market!

Way back when the Academy kit came out, I measured the following:

- the wing span measures 127.7 mm, the equivalent of 9.19 meters, the real wing span being 9.30 meters. In other words the wing span lacks 1.5 mm, or you could say the model scales 1/72.8 in span

- the fuselage including the generator prop measures 79.9 mm, the equivalent of of 5.75 meters. The most likely length of the real aircraft is 5.92 meters, and thus 2.3 mm are missing, or the scale is 1/74.1 in length.

If I take the average, it's 1/73.5. That sounds better than 1/75 🙂 What are your measurements?

Rob

• Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.163B/S Komet by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - decals+schemes+box art - release February 2022
On 1/30/2022 at 2:15 AM, Rob de Bie said:

What are your measurements?

Rob

I forget the measurements in mm now, however back when I built the kit I was using the Aero Detail book as a reference, and found that the Academy kit matched up almost perfectly to the "1/48 scale" drawings in that publication, after adjusting for scale (multiply dimensions taken from the drawing by 0.666667 to get 1/72).

However then I was comparing measurements of components of the kit to what they should be, based on published dimensions of the real Komet, some of which I recall I got from your site.

The math didn't work out...  the kit was coming out slightly small.

So I compared the Aero Detail drawings to actual dimensions.

The math didn't work out...  the drawings were coming out slightly small.

So, I calculated the "true" scale of the drawings, based on what things were supposed to be, and worked out that the Aero Detail drawings were about 1/50.

Which meant if the Academy kit was 2/3 the size of the drawings, it was 1/75 scale.  When I converted true dimensions to 1/75 scale, things started lining up again.

I suspect, but do not know this as fact, that Academy used the Aero Detail drawings as a reference, and scaled down from them without checking if the drawings were truly 1/48 scale or not.  It just seems odd that both the drawings and kit are off in the same ways, but match each other (if adjusted for scale).

7 hours ago, LanceB said:

I forget the measurements in mm now, however back when I built the kit I was using the Aero Detail book as a reference, and found that the Academy kit matched up almost perfectly to the "1/48 scale" drawings in that publication, after adjusting for scale (multiply dimensions taken from the drawing by 0.666667 to get 1/72).

However then I was comparing measurements of components of the kit to what they should be, based on published dimensions of the real Komet, some of which I recall I got from your site.

The math didn't work out...  the kit was coming out slightly small.

So I compared the Aero Detail drawings to actual dimensions.

The math didn't work out...  the drawings were coming out slightly small.

So, I calculated the "true" scale of the drawings, based on what things were supposed to be, and worked out that the Aero Detail drawings were about 1/50.

Which meant if the Academy kit was 2/3 the size of the drawings, it was 1/75 scale.  When I converted true dimensions to 1/75 scale, things started lining up again.

I suspect, but do not know this as fact, that Academy used the Aero Detail drawings as a reference, and scaled down from them without checking if the drawings were truly 1/48 scale or not.  It just seems odd that both the drawings and kit are off in the same ways, but match each other (if adjusted for scale).

Clear now, thanks for the explanation. If I may say so, adjusting the scale of the drawing until they (sort-of) match the model sounds more convulated than measuring the kit and calculating the scale 🙂 But your guess that the Aero Detail drawings are the basis for the Academy kit is an interesting one, I will have to look into that.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

If I remember rightly the Heller kit was under scale as well !

Wulfman

Interesting, I never measured the Heller model befor. Here's what I measured just now:

- the wing span measures 128.5 mm, the equivalent of 9.25 meters, the real wing span being 9.30 meters. In other words the wing span lacks 0.7 mm, or you could say the model scales 1/72.4 in span

- the fuselage including the generator prop measures 81.4 + 1.7* = 83.1 mm, the equivalent of of 5.98 meters. The most likely length of the real aircraft is 5.92 meters, and it's 0.9 mm too long , or the scale is 1/71.2 in length.

(* I excluded the very thin rod sticking out of the bulbeous generator spinner)

If I take the average, it's 1/71.8. Pretty good I would say!

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Interesting, I never measured the Heller model befor. Here's what I measured just now:

- the wing span measures 128.5 mm, the equivalent of 9.25 meters, the real wing span being 9.30 meters. In other words the wing span lacks 0.7 mm, or you could say the model scales 1/72.4 in span

- the fuselage including the generator prop measures 81.4 + 1.7* = 83.1 mm, the equivalent of of 5.98 meters. The most likely length of the real aircraft is 5.92 meters, and it's 0.9 mm too long , or the scale is 1/71.2 in length.

(* I excluded the very thin rod sticking out of the bulbeous generator spinner)

If I take the average, it's 1/71.8. Pretty good I would say!

Rob

I remembered wrongly !

Wulfman

Here's what I measured just now on a tape-assembled Airfix model:

- the wing span measures 128.9 mm, the equivalent of 9.28 meters, the real wing span being 9.30 meters. In other words the wing span lacks 0.3 mm, or you could say the model scales 1/72.1 in span

- the fuselage including the generator prop measures 76.7 + 2.0 = 78.7 mm, the equivalent of of 5.67 meters. The most likely length of the real aircraft is 5.92 meters, and it's 3.5 mm too short, or the scale is 1/75.2 in length.

This confirms that the fuselage is quite a bit too short indeed.

Rob

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.163B/S Komet by Wolfpack Design (plastic Academy) - released
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.163B/S Komet by Wolfpack Design & Hobby 2000 (plastic Academy) - released
  • 3 weeks later...