SAAF Junkers Ju 86

MACALAIN

Hello, Alain

I would expect that the single Ju 86 K-2 interiour had been painted RLM 02. It is a bit more complicated with converted airliners Ju 86 Z. According to Michael Ullmann's book Luftwaffe colours 1935-1945 (Hikoki) Lufthansa had cabins of their Ju 86s painted in Ikarol Grau or 015V166. I understand this paint had also been used in export Ju 86 airliners, unless South African Airways specified their own. The only photo of Ju 86 cabin in SAAF service I found was in Steve McLean's book Squadrons of the SAAF and their aircraft 1920-05. The interior may well have been painted light gray, but it is difficult to tell for certain from a b/w photo. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
typo corrected (Ikariol into Ikarol)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Alain

I would expect that the single Ju 86 K-2 interiour had been painted RLM 02. It is a bit more complicated with converted airliners Ju 86 Z. According to Michael Ullmann's book Luftwaffe colours 1935-1945 (Hikoki) Lufthansa had cabins of their Ju 86s painted in Ikariol Grau or 015V166. I understand this paint had also been used in export Ju 86 airliners, unless South African Airways specified their own. The only photo of Ju 86 cabin in SAAF service I found was in Steve McLean's book Squadrons of the SAAF and their aircraft 1920-05. The interior may well have been painted light gray, but it is difficult to tell for certain from a b/w photo. Cheers

Jure

Thank you very much for the information

Alain

• Like 1