Atlantis (Revell) USS Iowa

Here is one of the oldest, and best selling, kits from the Revell catalogue, the Iowa class battleship. Variously released as each ship in the class in static and motorized versions, it is a proud member of the Revell flat bottomed fleet with no detail below the waterline. Even the box art is reminiscent of the old Revell boxes. The Atlantis released has been cleaned up, but fit is problematic almost everywhere, so care and planning is needed to make sure gaps and overlaps are minimized. Painting can be frustrating as the corners between decks and bulkheads are rounded, so it's difficult to get a sharp edge. It's not the definitive model of these ships, remember this kit dates from the early 1950's, however with care, it builds up into a pleasing replica of the real thing and was a fun project. I did mine pretty much OOTB, only opening up the funnels and adding blast bags to the main armament, and since the hull was an adaption of the motorized version, it had no props and the rudder was wrong. I used the rudder, but added prop shafts and props from the scrap box just so there was something there. They are not correct, but do the job.

PXL_20210729_132525554

PXL_20210729_132553734

PXL_20210729_132537245

PXL_20210729_132544631

PXL_20210729_132818110

PXL_20210729_132832074

• Like 8

Gidday, this looks similar to a kit I attempted many years ago but was unable to complete. I can't remember the brand but it could have been Revell. You've done well with it. What scale is this please? Regards, Jeff.

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, this looks similar to a kit I attempted many years ago but was unable to complete.

I actually completed mine...but it didn't look anywhere near this good. Those old Revell box-scale ships were perfect for developing the modeling skillset, back in the day. (I think they were a dear $3.00 of paper-route earnings at the time!)

Plus, I love the late-war colors.

Well done!