Revell with a bit of Roden Fokker Dr1 - I mean, what could be more French

Marklo

So I hear you say, zut alors, quell idiot ( pardon my French) how can a German plane designed by a Dutchman even qualify for this GB, well it can if it’s been captured and repainted.

d2a235ce-28e3-4b1e-a4bb-51993dc734ff.jpe

Now I said I wouldn’t start any new projects until I had a few less 109s on the bench, but I received the kit the other day from a fellow modeller who has sadly had to give up the hobby owing to declining eyesight. So I thought I’d start it and that to do justice to the build I would also try to ‘superdetail’ the engine and interior.

resized_60e963ab-7f83-4374-bc56-79830a7dWith this as my guide..

I also have a Dragon 1/48 kit started so I may progress this as no copy the detail.

So next step is to (possibly) fabricate an interior frame from .5 mm brass… 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

• Marklo changed the title to Roden Fokker Dr1 - I mean, what could be more French

I shall have to break out my Janes book of fighting aircraft 1918 to make sure I detail the engine correctly. Wasn’t the Oberusal a listen earlier built le Rhone. I know it wasn’t as good and that many of the German aces paid a bounty for captured le Rhônes ( afair a bottle of Champagne)

The Oberursel Ur.II was a licensed built copy of the le Rhone 9J.

Fokker bought the Oberursel company in order to ensure supply of engines for Fokker aircraft. The Oberursel Ur.II was used in the Dr.I, D.VI and D.VIII

The most obvious distinguishing feature of the le Rhone 9J vs the Oberursel Ur.II is that smooth front crankcase cover whereas the Oberursel Ur.II had a second cover and ring of fasteners.

The le Rhone 9J is easily distinguished from the le Rhone 9C in that the intake tubes of the 9J go to the crankcase on the back side of cylinders whereas on the 9C they go the crankcase on the front side of the cylinders.

Small Stuff Models  https://www.smallstuffmodels.com/ make a very nice resin kit of the Oberursel Ur.II, le Rhone 9J, and le Rhone 9C in 1/72 and 1/48 scale.

And yes indeed, some of the German pilots placed a bounty on these engines. I thought I read somewhere that the bounty was upwards of a case of wine or champagne.

cheers, Graham

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I thought I read somewhere that the bounty was upwards of a case of wine or champagne.

Yes I think that sounds about right.

Edited by Marklo

Off to a good start, looking forward to updates.

I know you frequently get you your nose stuck in books of one or sort another besides the seemingly several dozen builds you always seem to have on the go. If you have not already the following you may find the pdf books interesting. These are about some of the work of Achim Engels and his group that have made numerous reproductions of several German WW1 types including the Dr.I

http://www.collectors-edition.de/f-t-s_buchbestellung_english.htm

There is on for the Dr.I which shows a lot of detail keeping in mind that they build reproductions but they do attempt to build as close to original design as possible.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that. Looks extremely interesting will definitely check  it out. Might be an excuse to move some of the Fokkers in the stash up a bit. ( I have an Eindekker, a DVII, a DVIII and a DR1 ( although that’s semi started))

15 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

besides the seemingly several dozen builds you always seem to have on the go

It’s the 16 109s ( I know) that are causing the inflated wip, my ambition is to get back to single digits or even a single build ( although we know that’s probably never going to happen :) )

On 31/07/2021 at 11:01, Marklo said:

how can a German plane designed by a Dutchman even qualify for this GB, well it can if it’s been captured and repainted.

Absolutely!  Interesting choice Marklo.

Good luck with your build.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Any progress on this one, since we last heard from you ?

No I think I’m all aircrafted ( if that’s a word, which it probably isn’t) at the moment so I’m working on my AHRLAC and building a T60 tank. But not to worry I’m confident in getting this one done before the end of the GB.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Marklo

I'm in a similar position at the moment everything I'm building seems to have a forest of struts to deal with :

Farman 223

Latecoere 298

Bristol Fighter

Might look out for a GB to build a wheelie thing myself !

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

36b0de8c-92a1-45a8-adb3-e7695eec728d.jpe
Slight change of plan. Seeing as how I managed to pick up the 1/24 th Dr1 for less than a tenner today and I have a 1/48 Dragon Dr1 in Wip (it’s painted but not assembled) I’m not going to super detail this one (1/24 would be the one to go for) so I’m going to try to take a run at this one over the weekend, instead.

• Like 3

resized_f44fe630-6b7f-41ba-a3ec-f677ed28Some progress, although I seem to be missing the tail and undercarriage, however I have couple of alternatives. First off have a proper look for the missing parts, next scratch some replacements, option three steal/borrow the missing parts from the other DR1 I was given or option 4, make a mold from the same and resin cast some replacements. I suppose I should go for option one followed by option four if necessary :) 

• Like 2

• Marklo changed the title to Revell with a bit of Roden Fokker Dr1 - I mean, what could be more French