Spitfire Mk.I P9398/P9390 Six Stack Exhaust

johnd

Evening all,

I've been wanting to build one of Al Deere's Spitfires for a while and found some 1/72 markings for KL-B P9398 in my transfer box. Now, I undersand that was probably P9390 in reality, but in searching for photos online, came across this.

Six stack exhausts. Any idea what I could use for these? Thy don't look much like those fitted to Mk.IXs

J.

PS The last number of the serial is indistinct in the photo. Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, KevinK said:

That photo is of a modern mock-up: not at all representative of the real aircraft.

Oh dear. Hook, line and sinker!

Thanks for putting me right.

John. 

• Like 2

Agree with Kevin, Spitfire 1's had the usual 3 exhaust stacks, at least while they were in front line service in the BoB. Quite if one received a 6 stack version whilst kicking around as a non-operational hack later in the war is open to question/positive proof.

Regards

Colin.

Well I knew that some Defiants with Merlin IIIs had six stack exhausts so it wasn't entirely unreasonable. Just wrong, as I can see now (I'd have probably noticed myself if I hadn't started on the ale early).  Probably...

I've got a feeling the link is to a photo of the replica Spitfire that has been at the Norfolk and Suffolk aviation museum for many years. This was one of the replicas built for the Battle of Britain movie.

https://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=126831

Steve

• Like 1