Posting thread or replies

Seem to be having a lot of problems posting replies to threads.

Sometimes takes two or three attempts to post a reply to a thread, sometimes (as has happened just now in the Grump thread in chat) it's not allowing me to post any reply at all!

I type my response, click on "submit reply", the box changes to "saving" and then just hangs and does nothing. Usually if I copy the txt, and refresh the page, and then paste the txt back in, and repeat, it will post the comment. However, on some occasions,  it will just hang, and do nothing and no amount of refreshing, repeating the process above, will allow me to post any comment at all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also experienced something similar. I started a new thread in Armour WIP, and when I clicked on submit topic, it hung about with "saving". I left it for about 10 seconds, and then it  posted. Trouble is, when I checked this morning, it had posted twice.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had this all day today, and sitting here like a lummox repeating in case I can get through.  Repeating, so maybe I 'll eventually end up spewing multiple copies, in which case I hope this one gets through so people know why. Eventually getting timeouts, with the message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.britmodeller.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Learn more…

Paul.

Sometimes it does seem to spend an amount of time on the "saving" dialog, but a few seconds is usually all it lasts, and it doesn’t happen very often. I'd reboot your device if you’re having persistent issues, and if you have control over your router, reboot that too. The slow saving shouldn’t be a regular thing.

• Like 1

It happened to me in the past.

I got around it by opening a new BM tab and very often found my posting had entered

On the odd occasion it had not I copied and pasted from the first tab to the new one and all was well

Then I closed the old BM tab and continued with the newer one

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Mike

Seems part of the problem I'm having on saving replies, is if there is an emoji in the text.

I've just replied to a thread, put an emoji in and tried to save. Nope. Wouldn't have it. 

Copied the text, removed the emoji. Closed the browser, re-opened, cleared the editor text, copied from clipboard (without the emoji) and it saved no problem. Edited the text, and re-inserted the emoji I wanted to use, re-saved and no problem. I've noticed this a couple of times, and I'm beginning to wonder if there is a background problem when trying to save text with emojis inserted into text (Version 4 emoticons). Does not seem to be related to the save taking a long time to process, it's just hanging and doing nothing. I've left it 30 or 40 seconds and it's done nothing on previous attempts, and I've given up trying to reply.

Hi...

I have looked in on the FAQs section and tried to resolve this myself following the tips there, but no success thus far.  Then I found this thread, so I'm adding my comments here - hopefully, if the system allows.

My issue is that when I want to post my response into someone's thread, I type up my comments, then click the 'submit' button... and nothing happens.  The 'submit' button changes to 'saving', but it isn't saving anything... it just hangs... for an eternity, so I end up deleting and stomping off in a huff.

I have tried restarting my PC, and using another browser instead, all to no avail; I usually use Firefox.

This issue has only started recently, but I can't think of anything that I've done that would cause it.  I noticed it a few weeks ago but thought perhaps an update or something may be getting done, but I have tried several times again this morning, in the early hours - between 3.00am and 3.30am, often my usual time for looking in on the site - and am getting the same problem.

I also signed in on my account via my mobile phone;  I rarely access the site this way but don't recall ever having had any issue in the past, so was surprised to find I couldn't post my comment using it now.  Maybe  Silverkite211, in his post above, has a point that this seems to have started around the time we changed over to using our e-mail addresses.   Perhaps someone could check this out, as it's of little use using the e-mail addresses for greater security if it impairs us being able to use the site properly, and with respect, it's really, really annoying, and lessens my enjoyment of accessing an otherwise great website.

If, by chance, you're actually reading this, then sadly, the fact it went through is a fluke, and shouldn't be taken as any indication that there is little or no problem.  Some others have been fortunate in their entries only being left hanging for a few extra seconds, or a few minutes... mine didn't go through at all earlier.

PS: an update... as you can see, this thread miraculously got through at first time of trying; I have also posted into the thread I was trying to post to earlier, and that too went through... an hour and a half later, sadly.

Edited by obdl3945
Update

I've had the hang up when replying a few times. It led to me making duplicate posts by accident. Now when it happens, I save the post in Windows and just leave things to sort themselves out. So far, my post has always ended up where it should be, with a backup waiting if needed.

On 9/16/2021 at 4:41 AM, obdl3945 said:

Hi...

I have looked in on the FAQs section and tried to resolve this myself following the tips there, but no success thus far.  Then I found this thread, so I'm adding my comments here - hopefully, if the system allows.

My issue is that when I want to post my response into someone's thread, I type up my comments, then click the 'submit' button... and nothing happens.  The 'submit' button changes to 'saving', but it isn't saving anything... it just hangs... for an eternity, so I end up deleting and stomping off in a huff.

I have tried restarting my PC, and using another browser instead, all to no avail; I usually use Firefox.

This issue has only started recently, but I can't think of anything that I've done that would cause it.  I noticed it a few weeks ago but thought perhaps an update or something may be getting done, but I have tried several times again this morning, in the early hours - between 3.00am and 3.30am, often my usual time for looking in on the site - and am getting the same problem.

I also signed in on my account via my mobile phone;  I rarely access the site this way but don't recall ever having had any issue in the past, so was surprised to find I couldn't post my comment using it now.  Maybe  Silverkite211, in his post above, has a point that this seems to have started around the time we changed over to using our e-mail addresses.   Perhaps someone could check this out, as it's of little use using the e-mail addresses for greater security if it impairs us being able to use the site properly, and with respect, it's really, really annoying, and lessens my enjoyment of accessing an otherwise great website.

If, by chance, you're actually reading this, then sadly, the fact it went through is a fluke, and shouldn't be taken as any indication that there is little or no problem.  Some others have been fortunate in their entries only being left hanging for a few extra seconds, or a few minutes... mine didn't go through at all earlier.

PS: an update... as you can see, this thread miraculously got through at first time of trying; I have also posted into the thread I was trying to post to earlier, and that too went through... an hour and a half later, sadly.

I'm having exactly the same problem. It's taking about 10 minutes for a comment to upload.

Yes, and another one here. I do find though, that when it's sitting there "saving", if I hit the back arrow, when I look in the forum that it was posted in, it's loaded.......but not always.

John.

Same here, posted on this couple days ago and it didn't show up here :huh: 

Just now, Ripaman said:

Same here, posted on this couple days ago and it didn't show up here :huh: 

Now it worked in a flash

We’re still trying to find out what’s going on with the forum, and this seems to be something that happens very occasionally for most people.  Why it picks on some more than others is a mystery though. To try and minimise it, an occasional device and router reboot is advisable to rule that out of the equation. Even the much vaunted "it just works" iPhone needs a reboot on occasion. Like everything else made by humans, it’s not perfect, but it’ll do. :)

we’ll crack it eventually, but you’ll have to be patient until then, sorry :confused:

• Like 1

I'll tag this on here

Over the last few days I've noticed that some of my postings are not appearing in the 'View New Content' listing

eg I posted in the 'And today's grump is....' thread. Wot I wrote is there ok but the 'View New Content' list does not show it

I've cleared cache, my puter has cleared stored memory etc but still these posts do not show.

I also had this 'problem' some time ago and it just seemed to go away of its own accord

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

Over the last few days I've noticed that some of my postings are not appearing in the 'View New Content' listing

eg I posted in the 'And today's grump is....' thread. Wot I wrote is there ok but the 'View New Content' list does not show it

I've cleared cache, my puter has cleared stored memory etc but still these posts do not show.

This can happen if you get a 500 error when you post. Not sure why, but it must get stuck between making the post, and adding it to whatever table it needs to be in to be displayed in the VNC listing. If you can go back and edit it, that usually solves the problem, but it’s another odd one. If we didn’t have the 500 issue, we wouldn’t have ghost posts. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

I didn't get the 500 error.

These postings went straight in with no apparent issues.

I'll try the editing trick

edit; up date. 

I copied what I posted. Chose Edit. Deleted what I'd written then pasted the copy and added in one word

That posting is now showing up in its proper time slot in the ' . . .List'

4 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I didn't get the 500 error.

Then that’s a new one on me. :hmmm: have a ponder to see if there’s any correlation anywhere when you make one of these ghost-posts. There are a lot of possible issues for that one, some of them at your end, so try to rule those out. Rebooting things pretty regularly might help.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, StuartH said:

I'm having exactly the same problem. It's taking about 10 minutes for a comment to upload.

Same here. When the second attempt to post failed, I closed the tab, 'liked' a post as described above, and this time it worked. Still, I get this problem every single time I log in and try to post, which it is really annoying.

It started when the forum changed to use the email address to sign in.

Cheers

Markus