Fake Iawata`s?

bugle

Looking to buy a iawate HI-LINE HP-CH ,was watching a vid on YT about use etc and the guy said to check for hologram on the box and only buy from proper shop. Not ebay etc.

i was looking to buy a good second hand item,can not afford new. Think i would be able to ask enough about and ask for pictures regards condition BUT if fakes are a well known thing i will give a miss. lots on Ebay etc.

I had a cheap Iwata clone that sprayed very well (until I dropped it). Some clones work pretty well so don't discount them, though it may be a matter of luck whether you get a decent airbrush or a dud.

I can honestly say that I’ve never encountered a fake Iwata, that was branded as an Iwata in the 30+ years I have been around airbrushes. I’ve seen dealers and importers stating that “all Iwata sold on eBay ar clones or copies” and still never ever found one that worked in any way different than ones sold in Europe. Even met a sales rep that seriously thought that the Micron was a Iwata design, and because of that you should avoid buying copies like Olympos……🙄

Are there cheap airbrushes from China? Of course. Are they as good as Iwata? No they aren’t. But they are not fake Iwatas if they aren’t sold as Iwatas. They aren’t even Iwata clones, since most of them are copies of the Olympos airbrushes.

• Like 1

I’ve owned a ‘copy’ Iwata for a number of years and for $30 Aussie (approx 15 GBP) I’ve never seen any reason to pay 10 times the amount for the real deal. Is it better than a genuine Iwata, probably not… Is a genuine Iwata 10 times better than what I’ve got, probably not as well. I run everything through my AB from Lacquers, Enamels, Acrylics to Future and all types of clears. I even flush it out with Hardware grade Lacquer thinner! Get comfortable with any AB and it should last you a good while. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve owned a ‘copy’ Iwata for a number of years and for $30 Aussie (approx 15 GBP) I’ve never seen any reason to pay 10 times the amount for the real deal. Is it better than a genuine Iwata, probably not… Is a genuine Iwata 10 times better than what I’ve got, probably not as well. I run everything through my AB from Lacquers, Enamels, Acrylics to Future and all types of clears. I even flush it out with Hardware grade Lacquer thinner! Get comfortable with any AB and it should last you a good while. 
Cheers.. Dave 

When you say copy, do you mean that it says Iwata on it, or that it looks like an Iwata?

3 minutes ago, denstore said:

When you say copy, do you mean that it says Iwata on it, or that it looks like an Iwata?

Apologies for the possible confusion, my AB has no mention of the word / brand Iwata on it however for all intents and purposes 'looks' like the genuine article. It's not a fake as per your initial post question, but a very good 'copy'. 

Cheers.. Dave    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Apologies for the possible confusion, my AB has no mention of the word / brand Iwata on it however for all intents and purposes 'looks' like the genuine article. It's not a fake as per your initial post question, but a very good 'copy'. 

Cheers.. Dave    

There are lots of good airbrushes out there, many of them are made or sold by companies not as well known as Iwata and H&S. It doesn’t mean that their products are inferior. I have had many airbrushes. More than a hundred last time I checked. I used to import and sell Grex here in Sweden for a couple of years. When they arrived on the airbrush scene, lots of people selling Iwata where wailing on about copy this and fake that. Today they are established.

Just buy from a known dealer. My HP-CH has not got a hologram on the case, mind you that’s probably a recent addition. However it’s also approaching 20 years of use and still my go to brush. I sent it off for its first service last year to https://airbrushes.com/index.php same place I also bought it from and it required nothing more than a further strip, clean and lube than I normally do. 

However, with second hand you pays your money and take your chances. Having seen some of the threads on here about airbrushes not working and then reading about either the complete lack of cleaning or the other extreme of forcing stuff into nozzles, I would be more inclined to buy new ;)

What Rabbit Leader said, really. I was a professional painter, did aircraft, did cammo. on APC's, that kind of thing. The Iwata clones are OK, (not branded Iwata) for my level of expertise. I can tell you one thing about spray guns/air-brushes... I love Iwata engineering and execution. Just 1 opinion.

Thanks guys, I was refering to items that were marked Iwata and fake. I have seen the numerous clones at around £12 up,these do not say iwata.

I think you can tell if you are buying from a good source,even if not a main dealer or shop.

Ebay has loads of H+S being sold as ex demo with no bad feedback at all,just need to be careful and judge by coms with seller.

Recently bought a brand new sealed in box Iwata Neo for £35, was for sale for ages,wanted £55 but took £35,private seller.