Improving the Italeri 1/72 Do 217 K-1 and K-2

Madalo

Colin, try putting the spinners nose down into some modeling clay (plasticine for the UK?) Using a small punch or pin chucked into a pin vise, make a small indentation in the center of the spinner- from the backside, this should be easier than trying to locate the center on the pointed/rounded tip of the spinner.Then, using a suitably sized drill bit, drill out the opening from the inside. Putting a small drop of ink into the backside of the spinner might also help, as the liquid should settle in the center of the spinner. Dunno how 'foolproof' this method might be, but it's worth a try on a scrap/spare spinner first.

Mike

Wish to heck I had known about the Italeri Do-217M when they were available, as they are nowhere to be found!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 3

Hi

I have in the stash for a future retirement build project

a Do-217M using an italeri 217K and a 217N 

the left over parts making a 217 J ?

if i remember rightly

cheers 

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

If I may be allowed a bit of thread drift - does anyone have plans for an M-11 which carried a single FritzX under the fuselage as I'd like to use an Airwaves conversion on my Italeri M. I think Koster did a 1/48 kit but I'm strictly 1/72 so will need a little bit of fuselage surgery.

6 hours ago, rossm said:

If I may be allowed a bit of thread drift - does anyone have plans for an M-11 which carried a single FritzX under the fuselage as I'd like to use an Airwaves conversion on my Italeri M. I think Koster did a 1/48 kit but I'm strictly 1/72 so will need a little bit of fuselage surgery.

Hi Ross 

you seen this thread ? 

cheers

jerry 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi Ross 

you seen this thread ? 

cheers

jerry 

Hi Jerry,

Thank you, I don't think I had, I have a memory of someone building the Koster kit but not on a BM thread,

Cheers,

Ross

@fishplanebeer,

Too late for the original poster's build, but I found a very good detail photo that shows the slotted vertical stabilizers of some Do-217K tailplanes on the assembly  line- you can see the slots and how they are formed around the leading edge of the fin. I was looking for Do-217M photos and this was one of that photo collection, Hope it will be of use to anyone wanting to build an accurate model of the K/M/N.

Mike

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/aircrafts-2/do217/do217-assembly-1943-3/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mike,

Thanks, that makes it very clear and easy to understand for my next build of the Do217 although I suspect it will be a while.

Just this minute finished my Do217E so will post a few pics on RFI in the next couple of days so folks can see how I finally got on with it. All I can say is it looks like a Do217E but don't look too closely as it's not my best effort since returning to the hobby late last year. In hindsight most of the major problems I had were of my own making due to my lack of practice and modest skills but the kit does have issues in terms of fit and the instructions so I'm not entirely to blame.

Now plan to take a break from modelling for a month or so and will resume with the SH Bf109E-1 as it should go together pretty well, plus it doesn't require any tiny PE parts to be fitted such as miniscule gun sights on the ends of gun barrels!

Regards

Colin.

11 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Now plan to take a break from modelling for a month or so

You deserve a break after fighting with that Do-217E kit! I sure do appreciate all of the comments made by you, Graham, and the others regarding the kit's flaws- sure will make the process much less painful for the rest of us! I also am glad I found I have a spare Italeri K and N kit in the modeling mausoleum  so I could do an M, thanks to the comments posted. Is this the greatest modeling website or what? :thanks:

Mike

As for breaks, I think I must have the record for the longest sabbatical- a Matchbox Siskin was my last finished model back in 1985...hoping to come out of retirement this year before the weight of all my unbuilt kits falls through the upstairs hobby room/kit stash! :giggle:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mike,

I completely agree about the forum, quite the best resource for modellers that I'm aware of and completely free too.

Since returning to the hobby late last year it's been a wonderful source of information and knowledge and the help I've received from yourself and Graham (Boak) amongst others has been most humbling and invaluable. Quite where people find all their information, such as your video and pics of the Do217, is still a mystery to me but just proves that there is a huge knowledge base out there that people are more than happy to share.

Really look forward to seeing your next project which I'm sure will put my own efforts to shame..

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1